Saving user name and password

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
Chester1775

Saving user name and password

Post by Chester1775 »

In the past my user name and password was saved and I didn't have to retype it each time I log in. How can I get it saved again so I don''t have to retype the information when I sign in? :?:
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Saving user name and password

Post by lajackson »

There is a setting in most browsers that will do this if you wish. In Firefox, for example, it is under Tools > Options > Logins, where you may check a box to "Remember logins for sites". Most browsers have a similar function.
Chester1775

Post by Chester1775 »

:? I mainly use Chrome. Just been in and clicked Manage Passwords. There it list my auto sign-in sites, but don't see anything to add a site. Nothing in the never saved list. It works for FamilySearch.org, but not LDS.org.

How can I get it to save LDS.org in the password list? I must be dumb 71 year old man and get frustrated a times trying to do some things on the computer. At times told to go check a forum which I have done. Thousands of listings. Why can't someone come up with simple helps? Like being able to talk to someone on the phone. That takes less time than typing, especially when you are a chicken (hunt and peck) typer like me. Even my computer repair place didn't have the answer. Wrong person or place.

Any one have step by step instructions that will work and I do mean step by step, no skipping a step. I would appreciate it. :?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

For security purposes, lds.org tells most browsers to not allow username and password saving. You are probably remembering a time before that was enabled or you were using a browser that didn't honor that setting.

As for why there is no call-in support, the church can't afford to pay to provide in-person support for the entire church. So they rely on volunteers. For FamilySearch they call church service missionaries to provide call-in support but they haven't decided to use the limited number of church service missionaries available for that kind of support for other technology issues. Instead they rely on those of us who choose to help out via the forums when we have a few spare minutes. They do have paid call-in support people at the global service center but they only have time to deal with issues that require privileged access to internal systems.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:For security purposes, lds.org tells most browsers to not allow username and password saving.
I'm not sure as that's true anymore since I've done it.

Where I've seen the problem is that the first time you visit the page, you're asked if you want to save the password. If you say anything other than "yes", that's it. You don't get a second chance on the next visit.

The process of changing that will depend on the browser. It's likely to be the same as getting the browser to forget a password for the site (as opposed to turning off the feature entirely).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
eblood66 wrote:For security purposes, lds.org tells most browsers to not allow username and password saving.
I'm not sure as that's true anymore since I've done it.
Well, lds.org has autocomplete="off" on the login and password fields, so that is still there. Whether a given browser honors that request is a different issue. A search seems to indicate the Chrome doesn't nowadays. (I use a separate password manager to securely fill in passwords so I can't test it myself without uninstalling stuff).

But the OP indicated that he uses Chrome and has looked at the Manage Password screen and couldn't find lds.org in the list of 'Never' sites which is where I think it should be if he declined saving the password. So I don't know what advice to give.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

From the Chrome Help file on saving passwords:

Make Chrome ask to save passwords again
If you told Chrome to never offer to save your password for a specific site, but you change your mind, you can bring back the option.
On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click (vertical dots) and then Settings.
At the bottom, click Advanced.
Under "Passwords and forms," click Manage passwords.
Under "Never Saved," to the right of the website, click Remove X.
If Chrome isn't asking to save any passwords anymore, you may have asked it to stop saving passwords. Bring back the prompt by turning "Offer to save your web passwords" back on.

Chrome isn't saving passwords
If you've told Chrome to save a password but it's not showing up, try deleting and resaving it.
Open your list of saved passwords, and check for the website.
If the website is listed, delete the saved password.
Go to the website, and sign in.
To save your password, when prompted, select Save password or Yes.
WWeinzinger

Post by WWeinzinger »

I have never been able to configure the Chrome settings in such a way that it will remember my login username and password so all I have to do is click "Sign In".
On a whim, I tried it today on Microsoft Edge and the login screen came right up with my information so all I had to do was click "Sign In". Worked like a charm (the way Chrome used to work way back when)!

Return to “Church Account”