LDS Email account for callings

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
morganreyn

LDS Email account for callings

Post by morganreyn »

Is there anything in the future that would allow a ward/stake/etc. to have an email address for a specific calling? I know that the .lds gltd is in the works, but it has been years since there have really been any updates that to that. It would be really nice to have the ability to have an email address associated with a calling that could be passed down to the next person who receives the calling. Something like:

wardclerk@myward.lds
bishop@myward.lds.org

or even mailing lists for an organization:

elders-list@myward.lds

I know of many wards that create email accounts for callings and use third-party email servers with email addresses like:

myward_bishop@gmail.com

but I find that messy and would really like a church-sponsored email program for leaders.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Email account for callings

Post by russellhltn »

We're rarely told these kinds of things in advance. There are email addresses (@ldschurch.org) like that for FHCs and FM groups and I believe stake presidents. So it would seem simple enough to expand that process.

I'd imagine one significant issue is working out the names. Looking in CDOL, there are two wards with the name "Springfield 1st Ward". One in Oregon and one in Illinois. Both belong to the "Springfield" stake. It's not until you get to the full name of the stake that you get a unique name.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Re: LDS Email account for callings

Post by drepouille »

There is a letter in letters.lds.org dated 30 Aug 2016 on a related subject. Unit email addresses were replaced with personal email accounts.

To improve communications, the Church is consolidating the number of email addresses recorded in Church systems for members and leaders. The goal is to have only one email address for each individual. Headquarters systems that send communications to leaders will now use only the individual email address specified in the leader’s LDS Account.

Previously, stakes were provided an email address consisting of the unit number @ldsmail.net. These email accounts will be discontinued at the end of 2016. Stake leaders who use these accounts should stop using them and specify a different email address.

Each leader should set a preferred email address by signing in to LDSAccount.lds.org and selecting Contact Settings. On this page, there is also an option to indicate who can see the address in stake and ward directories.

Because emails can be intercepted and read by others, leaders should use caution in sending confidential or sensitive information. Also, because members may send an email to a leader expecting that only the leader will read it, the leader should use a private email account that is not accessed by family members, business associates, or others.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Church Account”