Two Factor Authentication

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
nhaddock

Re: Two Factor Authentication

Post by nhaddock »

crazeemarchese wrote:Apparently I turned on two factor authentication but never set up the app. However, it is still wanting me to give it a code to get into my account settings and I do not have one and it is not giving me the option to get a text to my phone. How can I get it turned off so I can fix this problem.
I have a similar problem...I set up 2-factor with google authenticator and it worked great until I changed phones. Now I can't sign in to my account settings and there are no other verification options. Can anyone help me out on this?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

The first post in this (the LDS Account) forum has a link to the official LDS Account support page:

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=30383

If none of the questions and answers help, there are tips on getting to a web form to request specific help from support personnel.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

A quick Google search suggest Move Google Authenticator from one Android device to another.

To me, this isn't a "church" problem as much as it is a Google Authenticatior issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:A quick Google search suggest Move Google Authenticator from one Android device to another.

To me, this isn't a "church" problem as much as it is a Google Authenticatior issue.
Those instructions are for updating two-factor auth for a Google account on the new device. They don't provide any help with migrating other accounts to a new device.

If the old device is no longer available, the user doesn't have a copy of the shared secret used to generate the TOTP codes, and there is no other authentication method available, the only solution I know of is to contact the GSC to have two-factor auth disabled on the account so that it can be reconfigured.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:Those instructions are for updating two-factor auth for a Google account on the new device. They don't provide any help with migrating other accounts to a new device.
Hmmmm. Given how many steps were involved, I thought it moved everything over.

That's certainly a disincentive.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nhaddock

Post by nhaddock »

So what is the GSC and how do I contact them?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nhaddock wrote:So what is the GSC and how do I contact them?
The Global Service Center. Ask your ward clerk to contact them and make the request for you, if you are not able to find a way at the ldsaccount.lds.org site.
conniestauffer

Post by conniestauffer »

Is there a way to turn off "Two Factor Authentication"? When I was required to change my password, this created all sorts of mayhem between the Church's website and Family Search. The only way I can sign in with Family Search now is to go through my Church account. It is more annoying than timely. My password doesn't work on Family Search. I have tried several things. Please give me guidance on this. I'm trying so hard to do Family History, and this isn't helping.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

The Family Search password is now independent of your Church Account password. You can sign in with your Church Account using the separate button on Family Search's login page or you can sign in with a family search password, whichever is more convenient for you.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

scgallafent wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:45 pm
russellhltn wrote:A quick Google search suggest Move Google Authenticator from one Android device to another.

Those instructions are for updating two-factor auth for a Google account on the new device. They don't provide any help with migrating other accounts to a new device.
Here are some instructions for transferring all codes that are set up in Google Authenticator from one device to another:
https://www.alphr.com/transfer-google-authenticator-codes-new-phone/
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Church Account”