remove age from LDS account

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: remove age from LDS account

Post by russellhltn »

Age is only displayed for select leaders (typically, member if the ward council).

You can restrict your address by going into the on-line directory. Select "My Household" on the left. On the right, select "Edit" and modify the settings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
klricks

Post by klricks »

LBLoisLane1 wrote:
swatts529 wrote:Visibility of age and other personal information on the LDS Tools app should be at the discretion of the individual member whose information is being displayed. Their information, their choice. There's no good reason to display every member's age. If a ward leader needs to know a specific member's age, there are other ways to get it. The argument that only ward and stake leaders can see this information is short sighted. Leadership and clerk callings rotate regularly, and before long half the ward knows your age and other personal info. Am I being overly sensitive? Maybe, but that's not your decision. Or the Bishop's decision. Or the Church's decision. It's my information and my decision.
I totally agree! I was horrified to learn that all of my details, including my address, are included on LDS Tools! I have a personal safety situation, and this is UNACCEPTABLE! Nobody asked my permission to have this information published. I have my name kept private from the electoral roll because of my situation, only to find my address displayed publicly for ANY member to access! This is so wrong.
We have a retired LEO who does not want his address published so I removed the address from the record. That way nobody at all can see the address.
Also there is a preferred name option which will allow you to use a different name. The preferred name will show on most but not all lists.
Assistant Ward Clerk
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

LBLoisLane1 wrote:I totally agree! I was horrified to learn that all of my details, including my address, are included on LDS Tools! I have a personal safety situation, and this is UNACCEPTABLE! Nobody asked my permission to have this information published. I have my name kept private from the electoral roll because of my situation, only to find my address displayed publicly for ANY member to access! This is so wrong.
Go to the online directory and set your visibility to leadership only.
LBLoisLane1

Post by LBLoisLane1 »

Thank you for your suggestion. I do appreciate it and did that HOWEVER the situation remains that people (including leaders) who do not have any right to have access to an individual’s personal information, are given access to this without that person’s permission. It is a serious breach of privacy, and so wrong on so many levels. I find it hard to believe this is even legal! (I’m not from the US.)
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/leg ... country=go
You submit personal data to us when you join the Church, seek Church ordinances, request Church materials, request access to Church tools or services, or engage in other interactions or communications with the Church. When you interact with the Church, we generally process name, birth date, birthplace, telephone number, email address, physical address, photo, gender, donation/payment information, and so on.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lauralord

Post by lauralord »

How can I request my age not be made public to ward council members? Can the ward clerk change that setting?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There is no such setting. At least that I'm aware of. The per the church manual, the ward council is responsible for the well being of all ward members.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I understand these privacy concerns, there are a variety of valid personal reasons members have for wanting their data more private than it is. However posting those concerns here is not going to change anything since this is a user-to-user forum, and nobody here has the ability to effect changes in policy.

For reference, GHB 33.9.1.3 is the only place in the handbook I know of where this is addressed (but I may have missed something), and the Privacy Policy as of 04-06-21 is a more complete statement. There's also info at the bottom of the notice for anyone wishing to directly contact the church's Data Privacy Office.

Return to “Church Account”