remove age from LDS account

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).

remove age from LDS account

Post by 528172664 »

How do I remove age (00) as it appears after my name on Tools?

Re: remove age from LDS account

Post by 528172664 »

on my LDS tools when I bring up my name on Ward Directory it states my name (90) and age right next to it? how do I remove?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

528172664 wrote:on my LDS tools when I bring up my name on Ward Directory it states my name (90) and age right next to it? how do I remove?
There are two reasons you could see an age on the Ward Directory:
  • Because you're looking a person in your household, and you have the right to see your household's details.
  • Because you are a ward leader who by virtue of your calling have permission to see members ages.
But rest assured that the fact that you can see your age does NOT mean that regular members of the ward can see it, too. Only ward leaders (and a small set of stake leaders) can see it. So you don't have to worry about it -- there is nothing to remove.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Your birthdate is a required field of your membership record, and your LDS Account pulls from your membership record, so there is no way to remove it.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
swatts529

Post by swatts529 »

Visibility of age and other personal information on the LDS Tools app should be at the discretion of the individual member whose information is being displayed. Their information, their choice. There's no good reason to display every member's age. If a ward leader needs to know a specific member's age, there are other ways to get it. The argument that only ward and stake leaders can see this information is short sighted. Leadership and clerk callings rotate regularly, and before long half the ward knows your age and other personal info. Am I being overly sensitive? Maybe, but that's not your decision. Or the Bishop's decision. Or the Church's decision. It's my information and my decision. And it's sad that the only way to get my age off the latest ward clerk's iPhone is to get my permanent church records removed.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

swatts529 wrote:And it's sad that the only way to get my age off the latest ward clerk's iPhone is to get my permanent church records removed.
Actually, the next time he syncs after he is released, the age information goes away. So it will be gone from the latest ward clerk's iPhone within 30 days of his release. So please consider that before doing anything more drastic.

I hear you on the privacy of personal information issue. The U.S. is far behind many other countries in this regard, but the Church does follow the laws of the land and does keep sensitive membership information private and confidential. The Church only shares it in confidence with those leaders who will be better able to serve by having it, and then only while they are currently serving in their callings.
brucedcarlson

Post by brucedcarlson »

As a ward and stake clerk for over 20 years now, I've seen this issue come up again and again. Certain members do not want their personal information available to anyone, even if it's limited to just the frequently rotating group of ward leaders. More than once I've had members tell me they value their privacy to the degree that they want their records removed. While this may be a misplaced priority, privacy is inherently a significant concern and shouldn't be available to anyone but the Bishop and clerk. How can we help church IT prioritize this and get it fixed?

Note: Nowhere in the Household Visibility and Privacy Agreement (https://www.lds.org/help/support/visibi ... t?lang=eng) does it mention the sharing of birth date on that platform.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

brucedcarlson wrote:More than once I've had members tell me they value their privacy to the degree that they want their records removed. While this may be a misplaced priority, privacy is inherently a significant concern and shouldn't be available to anyone but the Bishop and clerk. How can we help church IT prioritize this and get it fixed?
In this situation, I'd suggest the stake president discuss the situation with his "upline". Ideally with requests for name removal in hand to explain the situation.

This isn't something that "the developers" decide. The business rules are handed down from the leadership in consultation with the legal department. You have to get this to the priesthood leadership to get any action. The developers may have the "keys", but doubt they have the authority to make the desired change.

This forum is primarily user-to-user help. The decision-makers you need to talk to do not read what's posted here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brucedcarlson

Post by brucedcarlson »

Thanks for the direction!
LBLoisLane1

Post by LBLoisLane1 »

swatts529 wrote:Visibility of age and other personal information on the LDS Tools app should be at the discretion of the individual member whose information is being displayed. Their information, their choice. There's no good reason to display every member's age. If a ward leader needs to know a specific member's age, there are other ways to get it. The argument that only ward and stake leaders can see this information is short sighted. Leadership and clerk callings rotate regularly, and before long half the ward knows your age and other personal info. Am I being overly sensitive? Maybe, but that's not your decision. Or the Bishop's decision. Or the Church's decision. It's my information and my decision.
I totally agree! I was horrified to learn that all of my details, including my address, are included on LDS Tools! I have a personal safety situation, and this is UNACCEPTABLE! Nobody asked my permission to have this information published. I have my name kept private from the electoral roll because of my situation, only to find my address displayed publicly for ANY member to access! This is so wrong.

Return to “Church Account”