Multiple passwords

LDS Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to LDS Account (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
kd7ufs

Multiple passwords

Postby kd7ufs » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:01 pm

I need a password I can share for Family History, that is different from the one I use for LDS.Org. I should not need to expose my LDS clerk privileges to my wife when she is helping me on Family History. Is this possible?

lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Multiple passwords

Postby lajackson » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:05 pm

kd7ufs wrote:I need a password I can share for Family History, that is different from the one I use for LDS.Org. I should not need to expose my LDS clerk privileges to my wife when she is helping me on Family History. Is this possible?

That is the purpose of the Helper function in Family History. She signs in with her own LDSAccount, and then is able to help you. You should find information on how to do it at the Family History Forum.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:25 pm

lajackson wrote:That is the purpose of the Helper function in Family History. She signs in with her own LDSAccount, and then is able to help you. You should find information on how to do it at the Family History Forum.

An even better link is the FamilySearch article: Using the Help Others features.

drepouille

Postby drepouille » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:57 am

My only problem with the Helper function of FamilySearch is that it is usually good only for the current window. If you click one of the search links to open a search window, or a Source Linker window, the second window usually reverts to the original login credentials.
Then again, when working with deceased persons, which are visible to anyone who has a login, I'm not sure if it really matters whether you use the Helper function or not. We all share a single Family Tree, and we can all create, modify, and delete any deceased person in Family Tree. The only reason to become a Helper is to manage living person records, or to manage temple submissions.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:49 am

drepouille wrote:The only reason to become a Helper is to manage living person records, or to manage temple submissions.

Well, although it's true that many things can be done without helper mode, you're understating the reasons for that mode by quite a bit.

A helper can also work with the person's memories -- all the photos, stories, and audio -- and many operations on memories can only be done by the owner. Everything done on behalf of the person will have that person's name attached (not the helper's), which affects the history. The helper can also set (or clear) watches on the person's behalf, and can view the relationship of people on the tree to the person. None of those things can be done outside of helper mode.

LDSAccountTech
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby LDSAccountTech » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:49 pm

kd7ufs wrote:I need a password I can share for Family History, that is different from the one I use for LDS.Org. I should not need to expose my LDS clerk privileges to my wife when she is helping me on Family History. Is this possible?

The LDS Account is a single-user account that is used across multiple LDS church-affiliated sites. Because lds.org and familysearch.org both use the LDS Account, they will use the same password. Unless your wife tries to access resources with your account that she shouldn't have access to, everything should be fine. Of course, using the 'helper' function is also a great way to receive help without sharing your LDS Account login.

Return to “LDS Account”