LDS Account

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
techgy
Community Moderators

LDS Account

Post by techgy »

Can someone please enlighten me as to the purpose for the ldsaccount.lds.org

What's gained by creating an account and what is the account used to access?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Techgy wrote:Can someone please enlighten me as to the purpose for the ldsaccount.lds.org

What's gained by creating an account and what is the account used to access?
It's the new and sole account system for anything LDS going forward. All current LDS sites will be eventually moving over to this authentication system, and all future sites will be built from the get-go to use this account.

As for the purpose, it's to have one, uniform account system across all things LDS.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

MK,

Thanks for the quick response. From what you're telling me everyone should be signing up for one, even though they may already have an account on familysearch.org, lds.org, etc, etc.

Do you have any estimate as to when it will start being effective?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:MK,

Thanks for the quick response. From what you're telling me everyone should be signing up for one, even though they may already have an account on familysearch.org, lds.org, etc, etc.

Do you have any estimate as to when it will start being effective?
It's already being used in a couple of places (the Temple Entry System used by stake presidencies to activate temple recommends, for one). But no site that is broadly used uses it yet. I don't see any particular reason why anyone needs to rush to sign up for an LDS Account; when they need to use a system that requires it, they can sign up then.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

In addition there are some CES applications that use it as well as our wiki and in fact all of the development tools (subversion, etc.) will use it.

Tom
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

tomw wrote:In addition there are some CES applications that use it as well as our wiki and in fact all of the development tools (subversion, etc.) will use it.

Tom
Which wiki? The familysearch wiki or??
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

Techgy wrote:Which wiki? The familysearch wiki or??
The LDSTech Wiki
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kd7mha wrote:The LDSTech Wiki
That Wiki is not run by the church, so it won't be using LDSAccess.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I must be missing something.
I have created my account on the new ldsaccount.lds.org site but when I attempt to login to the wiki it's not recognizing the account. There's no place on the wiki to create an account even though it says so in the upper-right corner.

I realize this isn't a big deal but I'm trying to understand what's being told to me and it's not making sense.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:I must be missing something.
I have created my account on the new ldsaccount.lds.org site but when I attempt to login to the wiki it's not recognizing the account.
So just to clarify, are you doing all the following?
  • Get a new account at ldsaccount.lds.org
  • Make sure you can use your account to login again at ldsaccount.lds.org
  • Use the exact same login at http://tech.lds.org/wiki
  • Note that both the login name and password are case sensitive (except for the first character of the login name, which MediaWiki automatically capitalizes)
Techgy wrote:There's no place on the wiki to create an account even though it says so in the upper-right corner.
The LDSTech wiki does have a link called "login / create account"; this is the standard MediaWiki link. It probably would be good to change this to simply "login"; or, better yet, leave it the way it is but on the login page tell the user how to get an account. As it is, we're not giving people much help in knowing how to get an account.

Return to “Church Account”