Reset Password?

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
sjpynes

Reset Password?

Post by sjpynes »

My First Counselor received an email message with the following content:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Request to Reset LDS Account Password

A request has been made to reset the password for LDS Account username XXXXXXXXXXXXX. To reset your password, click the following link within 48 hours:

LDS Account

If clicking the link above doesn't work, please copy and paste the URL below in a new browser window instead.
https://ldsaccount-stage.lds.org/site/c ... with-token?

This is a system generated email. You are unable to respond directly to this message.

If you did not request this action please report this activity to us.
LDS Account is the main sign-on account for online LDS Church resources.
Rights and Use Information | Privacy Policy
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
© 2013 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

He tells me that he did not make any request to reset his password.

Is this real or a phishing trick?

Should he do anythiung about it?
Last edited by russellhltn on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed token to prevent resetting password.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Reset Password?

Post by russellhltn »

The link was edited/truncated since it could be used to reset a password.
sjpynes wrote:If you did not request this action please report this activity to us.
Too bad they didn't detail how to report it.

The link is a lds.org domain, so it's not a false link.

Most likely someone remembered their login incorrectly and it happens to be your Counselor's login and not theirs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sjpynes wrote:He tells me that he did not make any request to reset his password.

Is this real or a phishing trick?

Should he do anything about it?
If he does nothing, his password will not reset. If it happens again, he should call the Global Service Desk to let them know he did not try to reset his password.

I am with russellhltn on this one. It is most likely someone mistyped their own sign in name and then their password did not work. This same scenario has happened to me at my bank several times, and the help desk was able to see the actual log in of the person who was trying to reset the password on my account (which they thought was theirs). The sign in names were very similar.

But if it happens again, I would make the call to GSC, just to be certain.
LDSAccountTech
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by LDSAccountTech »

I realize that this is an old post, but I would like to shed some light on that e-mail in particular. That e-mail is a legitimate e-mail from an automated system that the LDS account uses. It most likely was a false attempt at recovering a password like lajackson said. The usernames were probably similar so they had a password reset link sent to them. It is not possible for them however to reset the password this way, because they didn't receive the e-mail, you did. If you do have any additional questions feel free to post here or send me a message and I will respond as quickly as possible with an answer. We are trying to be more reachable as support and are willing to help in anyway possible.

Return to “Church Account”