Remember my account on this computer check-box at log in

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
ozozznozzy

Remember my account on this computer check-box at log in

Post by ozozznozzy »

I believe that there should be a "remember my account on this computer" check box. As ward clerk I am logging into LDS.Org all the time and would appreciate the simplicity of having an always on user account. Google Chrome already does not remember the Username and Passoword to log on. It has to be as simple as a check box.. and maybe you may consider the LDS Tools app security feature for leaders that requires a brief pin code, but not a re-log in. Any thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Remember my account on this computer check-box at log in

Post by russellhltn »

Considering the security issues, I don't see that happening. The concern would be that people would use it on on shared machines were it's not appropriate.

But the best way to advance that idea is to use the Feedback link on the main lds.org website.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I agree with russellhltn: I don't see that happening. Some people have access to a lot of confidential information through their LDS Accounts.

If this is a great need for you, I suggest you look at password managers (you mentioned Chrome, but seemed to indicate it does not work?). There are other password managers besides what you find in web browsers. You can probably configure it to work for your needs taking into account the security of your devices and the information you can access through your callings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:(you mentioned Chrome, but seemed to indicate it does not work?).
The login page contains a flag that instructs browsers not to remember passwords.

So, not only did the church not offer "Remember me", they went to the trouble of disabling that browser feature.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Thanks for the clarification on the problem with browser-provided password managers. External password managers still work. I use one and it works fine with lds.org. I believe I could set it to automatically log me in without a password if I wanted to, but that's not my purpose in using a password manager, so I haven't tried that.
mgalgs

Post by mgalgs »

I agree with OP that it should be the user's choice. This extension does the trick: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... d?hl=en-AU
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Alternatively, there could be a simple passcode entry on the web site like there is in the LDS Tools app, at least for the general tools...

Return to “Church Account”