Non-Member LDS account

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
jayzy

Re: Non-Member LDS account

Post by jayzy »

Hello,

I have a non-member LDS account, and have been running into issues accessing records, even while at the local Family History Centre.

The main issue that comes up, is when trying to view Filipino records, for my other half and her side of our family. The records show as available to view online, but when I click on the magnifying glass, I get a prompt telling me that I have to be a member of a supporting organization to view the records - even while at the FHC and with ability of the Portal access. My last 2 times at the FHC, it was tested with members there, and via our local Director - it was found that those records are non viewable from my account, and only viewable by those with an LDS Member Account, even while at the FHC. The local Director said she would contact someone (possibly tech members in Salt Lake City), about how I could view them.

But, since I am messaging here - I was wondering if there was a possibility of say, my account access being 'upgraded' so to say, to an LDS member account for full Family Search website access - so I myself, could be able to also view records anytime, anywhere and not just from the local FHC. Part of the reason is thst our local FHC is now closed until the 2nd week of January, and with the winter weather, making it to the local FHC without a vehicle is just a wee bit frigid. Even if it would be setup to a monthly fee or something similar, so I would also be contributing to the project of making all the records available to everyone, to help the Church's mission with this. In a sense, it would probably be similar to how LDS members contribute to the Church through tithing.

I also would be very interested in volunteering to help at the local FHC (will mention this to the local Director in the future), and even to help with indexing. Maybe an arrangement can be worked out, for a certain contribution to indexing in help towards and exchange for access.

I myself am not much of a religious man, but fully respect the beliefs of others - and have always felt a great respect level between myself and members of the Church, and I know my great interest in genealogy and family history definitely helps and aids that. A good common bond to have with people of different faiths.

Anyways, I encourage Church members here to private message me about all of this. I'd be very interested in discussing this all with someone willing to help with this all.

Thank you, in advance!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Unfortunately, the limitation that only members of the Church have access to some records is part of the contract that FamilySearch has with the record providers. I think that giving access to a nonmember (if it were technically possible at all) would violate the contract and could lead to legal trouble. I'm not sure why the restriction is in place. That said, I thought that Family History Centers were able to provide the same access (since they're hooked up to the Church's family history network). Maybe your Family History Center was set up locally and isn't registered with the Church as a regular Family History Center. Or maybe what I thought is incorrect and Family History Centers don't provide special access...
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bevisonline

Post by bevisonline »

I signed up on Family Search but it won't let me sign in. I can sign into LDS.org but can't do anything because I'm not LDS. I have no idea what to do. I just get "access denied" on everything.
bevisonline

Post by bevisonline »

If I even click "sign in" this is what I get: Access to ident.lds.org was denied

You don't have authorization to view this page.
HTTP ERROR 403
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Are you going directly to https://www.familysearch.org/, or are you following a bookmark or link that was sent to you from somewhere else?
Have you tried a different web browser? It's also possible there's a temporary glitch that will resolve itself later in the day.

If it doesn't resolve itself later in the day, you could try clicking the "Feedback" link at the bottom of the FamilySearch support page and reporting the problem.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bevisonline wrote:I signed up on Family Search but it won't let me sign in. I can sign into LDS.org but can't do anything because I'm not LDS. I have no idea what to do. I just get "access denied" on everything.
I just signed in with a non-LDS account and was able to sign in to LDS.org. Of course, as you noted, I can't do much there. I do have access to the Notes feature for studying scriptures and other reference materials on LDS.org.

And I was able to sign in to FamilySearch.org with no problem.

One potential issue is related to the integration between LDS.org and FamilySearch.org. If you are signed in to LDS.org and then go to FamilySearch.org and click Sign In, then FamilySearch.org will use your existing LDS.org session to sign you in to FamilySearch.org (in which case you won't be prompted again for your username and password). It's conceivable that something is going wrong with that process (although I tested that option as well, with no problems). As a troubleshooting step, you might want to sign out of LDS.org before you go to FamilySearch.org; you will then be asked for your username and password on FamilySearch.org.
callk3651

Post by callk3651 »

I have a question to ask you.

After non-members sign up for a familysearch account, can they connect to ancestry to familysearch?
I hope familysearch can let nonmembers have free access to ancestry.com.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

kevinscottcall wrote:I have a question to ask you.

After non-members sign up for a familysearch account, can they connect to ancestry to familysearch?
I hope familysearch can let nonmembers have free access to ancestry.com.
No, the agreement that Ancestry made with FamilySearch is only available to Church members, who have a membership record number associated with their FamilySearch / Church account.

Return to “Church Account”