Need to separate joint account

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
rksandoval

Need to separate joint account

Post by rksandoval »

When my husband created his LDS.org account, somehow he created it for both of us. I'm trying to create my own account. Right now the LDS.org site does not consider me a member. When I enter my member number and try to save, it says there is an error with my account. Since there is no phone number for tech support, I'm stuck. I need to have my own account to be able to see the ordinances performed on my family tree in Family Search. Also, the indexing I've done has been logged under my husband's account. Can anyone help? I e-mailed LDS.org for help and never heard back. Thank you!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Need to separate joint account

Post by russellhltn »

We're just helpful users here, so there's only so much we can do, but we can try.
rksandoval wrote:When my husband created his LDS.org account, somehow he created it for both of us.
First off, there's no such thing as a joint account. Only one membership record number(MRN) can be attached to an account. Sure, the "screen name" might be a joint name, and the email might go to a joint email account, but the account itself can only be attached to one membership number.

Note that a MRN can only have one account - if that's what was used for your "joint" account, then you can't create that to a new account with that MRN. You need to take over that "joint" account and have your husband create his own.

In case this is a part-member family situation, one doesn't have to be a member to use FamilySearch. Just indicate "non-member" when creating the LDS Account. It won't have rights to see the ward directory or calendar or ordnances in FamilySearch, but it will work for Family History work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Did you try contacting LDS Account support? https://ldsaccount.lds.org/contact
rksandoval

Post by rksandoval »

Thank you for your responses. I've e-mailed the link you posted, but I haven't received a response. My husband's e-mail is the one linked to the account. I'm not sure why I can't create my own account on my own. Why would it say that my user name already exists?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rksandoval wrote:Why would it say that my user name already exists?
Someone else may have already created an account with the username you want to use. All user names must be unique. Try a different user name.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Church Account”