Avoiding duplication - progress report

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

rwynne wrote:I currently advise our stake on geneology technology for the family history centers. Due to some unfortunate choices by those in authority, but without technical understanding, all access to current temple ready data is unavailable. I am in the process of rebuilding this capability.
The church has been upgrading the FHCs to have an internet connection. If you do have an internet connection then you can just check FamilySearch which contains all the temple data. Without one, PAFInsight and other programs that try to verify the names will fail. As RussellHltn said the church discontinued the local Ordinance CDs that were used before.
- David
rzamor1

Blog Articles

Post by rzamor1 »

I wrote a blog article on Renee's Genealogy Blog on "new FamilySearch" back when it was first called Family Tree. http://rzamor1.livejournal.com/2006/01/09/. If you scroll through my blog article titles at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... ljlog.html you will see what else I have written on the system. Since I was a beta 1 tester I hope I will be a beta 2 tester. My understand is that they were really looking for people with very, very little genealogy experience to be future testers. In fact they probably have all the people they can use in that area. Well I hope that helps answer some of your questions. :)
garysturn

TempleReady

Post by garysturn »

At the Draper Family History Center when patrons come in to clear names for the temple, we first help them run the names through PAF Insight to check for completed ordinance work. PAF Insight interfaces with PAF to compare the names in PAF to names in the Ordinance Index on the online IGI. If the work is completed those ordinance dates can be moved into the PAF record. The Ordinance Index on the online IGI is more up to date than the Temple Ready Disks used for clearing names for the Temple. After checking all names in Insight we then run the names through Temple Ready and create a diskette for the Temple. To use Insight the FHC must have an Internet conection. If you own a copy of PAF Insight that step can be done at home prior to bring your names to the Family History Center to clear the names in Temple Ready. In the Draper Family History Center the Temple Ready Disks are all loaded on a Network Server so no swapping of CD's is required to run Temple Ready.

When NewFamilySearch is completed it will replace Temple Ready. There is no firm date when that will be, but I'm sure it will be over a year before it is open to everyone. It is my understanding that Utah will be last to get it because they want to run it on a smaller scale for a while to make sure everything is working before bring online the largest groups of users. Pre-Beta2 testing is in progress now and Full-Beta2 testing will start soon. Who knows there may be a Beta3 test needed, there are a lot of changes from Beta1 to Beta2 that have not had much testing. Beta2 will include testing of the new Help Forums as well. You can go to www.familysearchlabs.org to see a part of the project that is posted for people to play with.

Return to “Family History”