Can not Access New Family Search

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
mmkids6
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:23 pm
Location: Tremonton, Utah

Can not Access New Family Search

Postby mmkids6 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:18 pm

One of the Wards in our Stake was trying to use the New Family Search for their Family History class during Sunday School. However, the firewall gave them a message that it could not be accessed. How can we correct this and who can take care of that for us?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:12 pm

mmkids6 wrote:One of the Wards in our Stake was trying to use the New Family Search for their Family History class during Sunday School. However, the firewall gave them a message that it could not be accessed. How can we correct this and who can take care of that for us?


Contact your stake technology specialist -- if you don't know who that is, the stake clerk will certainly know (but you should be able to look him up on the stake leadership section of the Directory on lds.org).

The STS can then determine if the problem is indeed a problem with the firewall or some other problem. He can also make recommendations to the stake president if he thinks the filtering level should be changed. He can also contact the Global Service Center to determine if the firewall is functioning properly, and propose changes in the filtering settings.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

JamesAnderson
Senior Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:03 pm

Postby JamesAnderson » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:52 pm

I doubt it's the filtering as nFS is an official Church site, and the 'new' designation is not going away for as much as two years out. It's probably something unrelated to filtering, either the firewall or some other problem.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20767
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:35 pm

JamesAnderson wrote:I doubt it's the filtering as nFS is an official Church site, and the 'new' designation is not going away for as much as two years out. It's probably something unrelated to filtering, either the firewall or some other problem.


I'm not so sure. Some of the more restrictive settings filtered out quite a number of things. In the Legacy meetinghouse firewalls, it indicates that FamilySearch Indexing is prevented in all but the most open setting.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

mmkids6
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:23 pm
Location: Tremonton, Utah

Firewall issue

Postby mmkids6 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:53 am

I am the Stake Tech. Specialist, but I am new to the calling. That was also my suspesion that it was the firewall. Who do I call to have the setting changed to all the familysearch to come in?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:07 am

mmkids6 wrote:I am the Stake Tech. Specialist, but I am new to the calling. That was also my suspesion that it was the firewall. Who do I call to have the setting changed to all the familysearch to come in?


The particular settings and course of action depend on which firewall you have. For the PIX 501 or ASA 5505, the wiki article Legacy meetinghouse firewalls describes the filtering levels and who can help you change it. Note that for any such changes, you must have the approval of your stake president first. There are consequences involved with tightening or loosening the filtering, and he needs to make that decision (after you get familiar with the technical ramifications and counsel together with him).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20767
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 am

aebrown wrote:For the PIX 501 or ASA 5505, the wiki article Legacy meetinghouse firewalls describes the filtering levels and who can help you change it.


Does the PIX have filtering levels? I don't think there were levels until the ASA was introduced.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:58 am

RussellHltn wrote:Does the PIX have filtering levels? I don't think there were levels until the ASA was introduced.


The linked wiki article clearly says that the PIX has filtering levels, and it was written by people on the Meetinghouse Technology team. I've never had any reason to test whether it does or doesn't. Your recollection is correct that the filtering levels were introduced at the time the ASA was introduced. But that alone doesn't imply that the PIX wasn't given filtering levels at the same time.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20767
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:27 pm

In my last conversation with the GSD, they told me it was only the ASA that had filtering levels. The Wiki is the only place I've seen that filtering was available for the PIX. Clearly the PIX belongs under "Legacy" so it does belong on that page, but I'm questioning the inclusion in that section. Do you a contact with MT to verify?
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “Family History”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest