Microfilm images online

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
brianc-p40

Microfilm images online

Post by brianc-p40 »

I understand that microfilm images will be easier to research once they are indexed; but why don't we make the images that are prepared available online immediately for those interested.

For example, the Indexes to Irish Births and Marriages are already a readable index and possible to view and search manually. Many other microfilms have index reels that could be viewed. Why not make these available, now?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

brianc wrote:I understand that microfilm images will be easier to research once they are indexed; but why don't we make the images that are prepared available online immediately for those interested.

For example, the Indexes to Irish Births and Marriages are already a readable index and possible to view and search manually. Many other microfilms have index reels that could be viewed. Why not make these available, now?
Don't take this as any official word but I believe that they are going to make the records available digitally as images. Of course, this does depend upon the owner of the records, whether they would allow them to be made available. Many of the projects that are being done in the indexing program are for other organizations where the church has an agreement to collaborate on the project. Each agreement may have different stipulations.

Tom
garysturn

Record Search

Post by garysturn »

brianc wrote:I understand that microfilm images will be easier to research once they are indexed; but why don't we make the images that are prepared available online immediately for those interested.

Many of the Items that have been scanned are now available at FamilySearchLabs Record Search site. You must register and wait for an account which only takes a couple of days then you can use the site.

http://www.familysearchlabs.org/

The items that have been indexed can be searched by name, date, and place. The items that have been scanned but are not yet indexed can be looked at by locality. Here is a screenshot of the site.

Gary

Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
marianomarini

Other resources

Post by marianomarini »

A member of my branch is making photo from Catholic Church registries.
Cause difficult learn of UDEWin from catholics peoples available to extract names, I'm thinking to use it with indexing, is this possible? What can I do.
Take in mind that catholic peoples don't want connection with LDS Church sites.
Attach you find a schematic of an alternative system.
Attachments
print.pdf
(27.76 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
ClarkeGJ

Way-pointing

Post by ClarkeGJ »

We are working on a method so that people can browse information about images before they are fully index. This way they can get closed to what they are looking for without getting to the exact image that has the information. They would have to browse multiple images to find the one they want. The higher-level indexing process that is by a group of images rather than a specific images is called "Way-pointing".
Gordon Clarke
FamilySearch DevNet manager
garysturn

Images viewable before indexed

Post by garysturn »

gordon wrote:We are working on a method so that people can browse information about images before they are fully index. This way they can get closed to what they are looking for without getting to the exact image that has the information. They would have to browse multiple images to find the one they want. The higher-level indexing process that is by a group of images rather than a specific images is called "Way-pointing".

I think it would also be helpful if the film numbers were included as part of the record and search criteria. We can use the FH Library Catalog to locate the films we wish to research, it would be very helpful if those films have already been scanned and are available at Record Search if we could also find them by film number. And a link in the FH Library Catalog to scanned images would also be very helpful. Many sources list film numbers and finding the image from a film number would be a great help.
Gary Turner
Code of Conduct
Darris Williams-p40

Record Search and Family History Library Catalog Links

Post by Darris Williams-p40 »

GarysTurn wrote:I think it would also be helpful if the film numbers were included as part of the record and search criteria. We can use the FH Library Catalog to locate the films we wish to research, it would be very helpful if those films have already been scanned and are available at Record Search if we could also find them by film number. And a link in the FH Library Catalog to scanned images would also be very helpful. Many sources list film numbers and finding the image from a film number would be a great help.
As I understand it, the resources like Record Search are not yet ready for prime time. When they are ready for a wider audience I am sure the Family History Library Catalog will reflect what is digitized and link to items that are not restricted. The catalog team has a lot of sharp people working toward the future.

Darris
garysturn

Record Search

Post by garysturn »

Darris Williams wrote:As I understand it, the resources like Record Search are not yet ready for prime time. When they are ready for a wider audience I am sure the Family History Library Catalog will reflect what is digitized and link to items that are not restricted. The catalog team has a lot of sharp people working toward the future.

Darris

Yes, Record Search is not ready for Prime Time, but it is available at famiysearchlabs.org and you can use it now. There are no references to film numbers on any of the indexed records or on any of the scanned but not yet indexed records that are there and searchable now. My question was to ask Gordon if he knew whether this option was being considered for the future, because it does not appear to be in the beta version that I have been using for the past few months.
Gary Turner
Code of Conduct
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I beg your pardon but I've not well understand what you mean with "Way-pointing".
My idea is to view an image with an image viewer and insert data with PAF or UDEWin.
This solution is force by the will of catholic leader to not give images to FamilySearch.org.
Are you saying that will be possible have personal images with new software?

Return to “Family History”