The biggest problem with nFS

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
huffkw

Post by huffkw »

Very Interesting. A ray of hope/intrigue shines through. I had never considered that one might be able to create a different view of the data for different purposes, piggy-backing on top of the huge effort going on there. Does anyone know where the project stands on defining such an API? (I have heard about the Granite Mountain digitizing project’s plan for an external API, but never imagined something similar for the nFS effort).

All my complaining has elicited some very interesting tidbits I would never have expected to learn about. Thanks for your help.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

There have been several threads in this forum giving a tiny bit of information about the nFS API. I'm not aware of anything more than that.
garysturn

newFamilySearch API

Post by garysturn »

huffkw wrote:Very Interesting. A ray of hope/intrigue shines through. I had never considered that one might be able to create a different view of the data for different purposes, piggy-backing on top of the huge effort going on there. Does anyone know where the project stands on defining such an API? (I have heard about the Granite Mountain digitizing project’s plan for an external API, but never imagined something similar for the nFS effort).

All my complaining has elicited some very interesting tidbits I would never have expected to learn about. Thanks for your help.

The newFamilySearch API allows private companies to create their own applications using the newFamilySearch database. There is a website for site developers interested in being affiliates with newFamilySearch. Here is a link to that developers web site: FamilySearch Developer Network.

FamilySearchLabs is working on some projects which use the API to create applications for newFamilySearch. The Family Tree project is one of those projects using the API. There is a Beta version of it at FamilySearchLabs. Other developers are beta testing their desktop applications which use the newFamilySearch API. One I have read about is Ohana Software which is developing a application called FamilyInsight which will sync data between PAF or a GEDCOM file with the newFamilySearch API. They are beta testing now. Many of the major Family History Software developers are upgrading their software to work with the FamilySearch API.

The API has been functional for a several months now and the affiliate developers are close to releasing products that work with the API. I have heard that some of the products will be previewed at the Computerized Family History Conferenceat BYU in March. There will be a FamilySearch Developers Conferenceat BYU that will also be in March at BYU with training courses for developers using the API.

There is also talk of an open source FamilySearch desktop applicationthat will be developed at some point using the API.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
garysturn

Feedback

Post by garysturn »

huffkw wrote:But this is all academic for the time being. It will apparently be a long time before anyone is looking for more ideas to implement.

newFamilySearch is looking for your feedback. There is a section in newFamilySearch where they ask for suggestions for imporvement and feedback about the existing functions. FamilySearchLabsalso asks for feedback on all of their projects.

If you are a registered Priesthood Leader or a Family History Consultant you can sign up now for a newFamilySearch course at the Family History Library in Salt Lake and get a newFamilySearch account. You can register as a Priesthood Leader or Family History Consultant Here. And you can register for the course where you will get a newFamilySeach account Here.

The rollout of newFamilySearch is already quite extensive, here is a MAP of the rollout. There are already a lot of people using this system.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
The_Earl

Completely OT

Post by The_Earl »

GarysTurn wrote: The rollout of newFamilySearch is already quite extensive, here is a MAP of the rollout. There are already a lot of people using this system.

You really have a map of the exact lat/long of the temples? That is something only a geek could love. Do you think you could find a place to post the full list? A KML file would be GREAT.

Any volunteers to find the shortest path to attend all of the temples? :)

Thanks
The Earl
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

The locations of temples is not a secret. Do a google search for "Google Earth LDS Temples" and you will find cool KML files that take you on a tour of all of the temples.

Tom
The_Earl

Temple KMZ

Post by The_Earl »

Apparently the google earth community has already stepped up.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php ... mber=50410

Return to “Family History”