New FamilySearch

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

Marian JOhnson wrote:I wonder if it would be possible for the church to use the new FamilySearch search engine to find the cases in which there are temple file or extraction file ordinances with a CLEARED designation, where the temple work HAS BEEN DONE by members in the meantime, while those extracted or temple file names have been waiting to be done, and remove them from the system.

I cited a case in one of my previous posts where I submitted many German names to the temple file and the baptisms were done, then, because my names were still in Dallas and not in the IGI, the extraction program cleared a lot of the same names again. If the church could locate those types of situations and pull them out of the system, that would reduce the backlog significantly, I think. With the old program where the IGI was on CDs, there was a 4 - year gap between the releases of the CDs where duplication could occur. If there is really an 8 -10 year backlog, identifying those duplicates for which ordinances are still marked CLEARED and removing them from the system could be very helpful in reducing the backlog.
That would have limited success. If the names were still in the holding file in the temple department, then the duplicates could be identified and removed. Not all duplications are “black and white”. A human would still have to make decisions base on limited information. If the names have been sent to a temple then there is no simple way to retrieve the names. Once they get to the temple they are printed on temple lists (hardcopy) and the lists would have to be manually searched. I don’t mean to be negative, but I’m just trying to point out that this is a very complex problem. The new FamilySearch is just a step in the right direction just as TempleReady was. The church is doing its part to reduce the problem. The solution to the back log of names is very simple – greater temple attendance! If more ordinances are being completed than are entering the system, then the flood waters will subside. We could actually drain the reservoir. The significance of duplications would be a lot less.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RonaldF wrote:If the names were still in the holding file in the temple department, then the duplicates could be identified and removed. Not all duplications are “black and white”. A human would still have to made decisions base on limited information.

nFS allows members to "combine" people. So that appropriate entries in the IGI, PRF, Church membership records and Ancestral file combined/linked into a single person. If the temple were to look up "their" record, they'd find it combined with another record that shows the ordnances completed.

So, yes, someone will have to use human logic on matching things up, but for the temple department to take advantage of it, it's quite mechanical.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Java code to process FGR pages from NFS

Post by rmrichesjr »

In case it might be of some use to someone, I have some Java code I wrote that can process Family Group Record pages in HTML saved from the New FamilySearch site. The code modifies the links and such in the HTML to make the page more easily viewable from local disk, including adjusting the links that navigate to the previous and next generation so they will work with local files (assuming the files are named according to the convention the code uses). The code also generates a couple of kinds of pedigree views to facilitate getting to the FGR pages and indexes by first name, last name, and title.

The code is in works-for-me state on LInux using pages from the Spring 2007 NFS beta test.

(Apologies for posting this message in two threads. There doesn't appear to be a cross-posting mechanism in this Forum as there is for Usenet newsgroups.)
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

rmrichesjr wrote:(Apologies for posting this message in two threads. There doesn't appear to be a cross-posting mechanism in this Forum as there is for Usenet newsgroups.)

You can link to another post or thread. But most people probably look at both threads anyway so a single post is usually fine.
- David
RonaldF-p40

NFS Policy change?

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

In the past, only members who lived in the Temple districts participating in the NFS were allowed to register and log into the NFS. Has this changed? Are all members being allowed to register and use NFS now?
kennard

still not Churchwide

Post by kennard »

It is still only available to members in some temple districts. Not yet for everyone else.

-Doug
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

dougk wrote:It is still only available to members in some temple districts. Not yet for everyone else.

-Doug
Unless you're founding a genealogy software startup and attended a certain genealogy conference at BYU (or near there). An acquaintance of mine has a login for his business interests.

I'm just glad the commandment in Exodus to not covet doesn't list an NFS login as something we're not supposed to covet. :-)
RonaldF-p40

Post by RonaldF-p40 »

dougk wrote:It is still only available to members in some temple districts. Not yet for everyone else.

-Doug
Does anyone know the time frame as to the roll out of NFS to a temple district and the registration of the members to NFS?
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

rmrichesjr wrote:I'm just glad the commandment in Exodus to not covet doesn't list an NFS login as something we're not supposed to covet. :-)

It does say "any thing that is thy neighbor's"

Exodus 20:17
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his butt, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s

But In less than a year everyone should be on NFS hopefully.
- David
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

thedqs wrote:It does say "any thing that is thy neighbor's"

But In less than a year everyone should be on NFS hopefully.
Oops. I guess I had forgotten about the catch-all at the end. :-)

Less than a year, huh? That'll be cool! I had heard end of 2008. Two or three months sooner is great.

Return to “Family History”