new.FamilySearch Beta 2 ScreenShots

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
garysturn

Duplicate children

Post by garysturn »

Roger wrote:In the new family search under me and my ancestors I have listed 6 children. I actually only have 4. 2 of my children are listed twice but so far I have found no way to combine the children that are listed twice.

Both of these children have one record from the membership and one from the old 4 generation program submitted by me.

I have asked the question several times to the send us feedback with no answer.

Dose anyone know how to solve this so that I will only have 4 children on the FGS?

I would even be glad to have someone help me using the sign in to help someone else if possible.

Thanks
Roger

Select one of the duplicated children.
Click on "Possible Duplicates".
Does the duplicate child show up as a possible duplicate?

If so you should be able to check the check box and combine them by clicking "Compare Selected Records".
If not try clicking at the bottom on "Search for other possible duplicates" and see if it pulls it up then.

If that does not work. Check to see if both duplicates have the same birth dates.
If you are a contribuitor you should be able to correct your submission.
Then try "Possible Duplicates" again. Let us know if that works.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
Roger-p40

Duplicate Children

Post by Roger-p40 »

I clicked on each of my duplicate children.

One has me as contributer the other has me and the LDS Church Membership Records as a contributer.

Both records have the same date and place of birth. These children are living but it is my contention that I should be able to combine them or not see the church record for my living children. They are all adults.

Neither one shows possible duplicates. When I click on the Possible Duplicate it only shows the one record. With no way to do any combining.

Thanks for trying to help.

Roger
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Roger wrote:In the new family search under me and my ancestors I have listed 6 children. I actually only have 4. 2 of my children are listed twice but so far I have found no way to combine the children that are listed twice.
I have noticed a similar issue with my ancestors. I haven't yet sent feedback but will. I think I know how to do it, but I better try it before I open my mouth. However, the fact your children are living may create complications.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Roger wrote:I clicked on each of my duplicate children.

One has me as contributer the other has me and the LDS Church Membership Records as a contributer.

Both records have the same date and place of birth. These children are living but it is my contention that I should be able to combine them or not see the church record for my living children. They are all adults.

Neither one shows possible duplicates. When I click on the Possible Duplicate it only shows the one record. With no way to do any combining.

Thanks for trying to help.

Roger
To combine your own children, you need to go to pedigree mode, put you in the main position (default situation). Then, you click on "Spouses and Children" on the left edge of the lower/details part of the window. Then, click (and maybe hold) on the little arrow to the left of the name of one of the repeated children. When a menu appears, select 'Combine with other siblings'. That's the only way to combine children.

HTH
Roger-p40

Duplicate Children

Post by Roger-p40 »

Thanks for the info but it did not work. The instructions were fine it just did not combine the records.

I get the message when I try this that one of the records is read-only. Read only records cannot be combined with other records.

Roger
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Did you say you had asked a question or given feedback? I'd definitely do that. The read-only issue might be one the developers should look at.
Roger-p40

Merge duplicate

Post by Roger-p40 »

Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes I have sent several emails to the Send us feedback. The only answers I got were prior to beta2 testing.

I also got a call from a person who said they would check it out and call back but so far no return call.

I have found a message on the help screens and have followed the instructions plus I have sent a special message to support.

No fix but the messages said to wait for production to combine the records again. I don't know when this may happen but I will wait. At least there is hope that it can be fixed.

Thanks
Roger
PhillipsCJ

Post by PhillipsCJ »

GarysTurn wrote:This new system could be used in place of PAF but most people will still use PAF or some offline program.
I wonder if there has been any consideration to an offline version at some point in the future using something like the Adobe's new Apollo platform.

Offline version of online apps seems to be a growing trend.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

mactoph wrote:I wonder if there has been any consideration to an offline version at some point in the future using something like the Adobe's new Apollo platform.

Offline version of online apps seems to be a growing trend.
Have you seen the discussion about an API for the new FamilySearch system and encouragement for development of multiple local desktop record managers? I don't recall which threads, but they're in my subscribe list. PM or email me for thread URLs if needed.

Return to “Family History”