what is being reported

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
mlvsnv

what is being reported

Post by mlvsnv »

Newly called, I reviewed the postings and found this comment "For instance, the 1st-4th Gen ancestors in family tree percentage is easily misunderstood. It does not mean the number of members in the stake with all of their 4 generations entered in family search, but rather how many of the adult members of the stake, their parents, grandparents and great grandparents are entered into family search. There is a total of 15 possible names per member of the stake, and the percentage is how many of those names are entered."

Is this correct? If my ward has 65% reported in 1st four generations in the tree, does this mean 65% of adults have filled out their four generations? Or does it mean 65% of the 15 possible names are entered for each ward member? In other words, is this then a meaningless average of the total names within each member's four generations?

What is the population of the members logging in to FS and the members participating in the different FH activities - is this adult members, adult plus YM/YW, adult plus YM/YW plus older Primary, or what is the subject population?

Thanks for any clarification or documentation that explains what the report actually means
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: what is being reported

Post by russellhltn »

There's some clarification in this post.

The way I read it, is each individual is given a percentage of how many of the 15 names are filled in. For example, if they're missing one name (such as a g-grandfather), then they are at 94% (93.75 if you want to be exact).

The average of that percentage across the stake is the number you see.

It does create a problem in interpretation. If you have 50%, that could mean half the members have nothing filled in while the other half have it all done. Or, it could mean the whole stake has only a little more than 3 generations filled in. I understand the goal is to improve that number, but it would be nice to know how many need to get started versus how many need help researching the next generation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mlvsnv wrote:What is the population of the members logging in to FS and the members participating in the different FH activities - is this adult members, adult plus YM/YW, adult plus YM/YW plus older Primary, or what is the subject population?
For those participation numbers, I'm sure that they include what is noted in the blue box at the top of the report: "This report shows a summary of members of your ward, ages 12 and older, and their engagement in family history activities compared to prior years." So to answer this the way you phrased the question, it is "adult plus YM/YW."
mlvsnv

Post by mlvsnv »

Thanks to all for your helpful responses. Providing a unit average percentage across the ward of names entered in first 4 generations, or number of unique members who have accessed family search once during the year, etc., does not seem to facilitate improvement focus efforts. But perhaps I am still not understanding the data and how the report can be used. Would welcome any experiences in how this report is being used at ward level to help increase/improve/sustain activity.

Return to “Family History”