HOW DO I CORRECT AN INCORRECTLY SUBMITTED SURNAME?

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
davesudweeks

Re: HOW DO I CORRECT AN INCORRECTLY SUBMITTED SURNAME?

Post by davesudweeks »

Go to their person page
In the Vital Information section, click on their name
Click on the word "Edit" to the far right side of the section (across from the name)
Make the changes needed and enter your reasoning for the changes in the box titled "Reason this Information is Correct" and then click on the Save button.

You do not have to document the reason you believe your changes are correct, but it helps others who may think you have made an incorrect spelling change and is highly recommended.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Of course, check the sources. It's possible that someone with a confusingly similar name has been merged with your ancestor. It may take some work to untangle things. It's even possible they're not your ancestor at all but someone mistakenly added to your tree.

I've very leery of people who insist the name is wrong but have no sources to back their claim, so please add sources.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:I've very leery of people who insist the name is wrong but have no sources to back their claim, so please add sources.
Absolutely - and great advice. I did not mean to suggest the OP should not attach sources to verify their claim of a spelling error. Sources are the evidence of the accuracy of the information. Some sources are more reliable or trustworthy than others, but all can be useful in their own way.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

ILoveTheLamb wrote:I am in great need of taking some family names to the temple but I have found a couple of them whose surnames have been submitted with the wrong spelling! I cannot figure out on Family Search how to go in and make these corrections! It is the same last surname and I really need help correcting it soon please!
Since you said, "taking some family names to the temple" I assume you either have printed family file cards, or plan to do so, to take to the temple with you. After you have made your corrections, you will want to reprint your family file cards before you go to the temple.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Family History”