Unoffical Family History Center (Workroom) - software

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dkcook2 wrote:- Keep programs up to date (e.g. Drivers) - I know Microsoft does some of this but as I recall there are some programs that it doesn't cover.
First, if you haven't already, upgrade the default MS's "Windows Update" to "Microsoft Update". Microsoft Update covers more.

I like to use Secunia's on-line scanner found Here. It will tell you about common programs that have fallen out of date. Things like Flash, Adobe Reader, Java, etc.

Even so, you'll still have to check the computer manufacturers drivers page from time to time. This is where having all the same machine is really a blessing.

dkcook2 wrote:Should we be concerned on what the temporary files settings and Internet cache settings are - should they be set low so the computers do not get overwhelmed with temp files?
I'd set the cache in IE to 50MB. The default is based on a percentage of the hard drive size and as hard drives have gotten bigger, so has the cache.

dkcook2 wrote:Should we use Firefox instead of IE?
What would users be most familiar with? I run IE exclusively and never have run into a problem. There is malware that attacks Firefox, so it's not a panacea. I also look at it as if my machine is going to get sick, I'd rather it get sick with something common than some thing exotic. ;) But with the lower user rights setting, I think it's a non-issue.

dkcook2 wrote:Are we missing anything else on maintenance for these computers?
Set the patrons to only have "user" rights in Windows. This greatly limits what any malware can do. (As well as the patrons.)

Other programs I like to use is Spybot-search and destroy, and SpywareBlaster. Both protect in real-time and are free for non-profit use.

As for the rest of the items, I think you're doing fine (defrag, etc.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LakeyTW

Post by LakeyTW »

RussellHltn wrote: Other programs I like to use is Spybot-search and destroy, and SpywareBlaster. Both protect in real-time and are free for non-profit use.
This is a common misconception. Spybot S&D is free for personal use only. For use by corporations and non-profit organizations there is a licensed version. Non-profits do get a 50% discount on price.

Spyware Blaster is free for personal and educational use, but not for corporations. No mention of non-profit organizations in their licensing. How licensing for this product would be interpreted for the Church would be up to JavaCool Software.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lakeytw wrote:Spybot S&D is free for personal use only.
Can you point me to the language in the license that says that? When I look, what I see is "Public Dedication License" and "Freeware".

I can think of several packages that are licensed as you describe, but not Spybot. Were you thinking of something else?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LakeyTW

Post by LakeyTW »

RussellHltn wrote:Can you point me to the language in the license that says that? When I look, what I see is "Public Dedication License" and "Freeware".

I can think of several packages that are licensed as you describe, but not Spybot. Were you thinking of something else?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/license/index.html

"II.e. Corporate use
As companies are not individual persons and would have problems fullfilling the above terms, there is a license for corporate users that can be found at safer-networking.ie."

http://www.safer-networking.ie/en/prices/index.html

"The price for the corporate use of Spybot - Search & Destroy, update service and email support depends on the number of nodes (PCs) in your network. There will be a 50% rebate for schools, universities (where the number of nodes is staff only) and other non-profit organisations."
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If you dig around you can find a chart on the safer-networking.iesite that has a chart comparing the three versions of Spybot S & D - Personal, Small Business, and Corporate. The only difference on that graph between the Personal and Small Business edition is license/price.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

"This means that I grant you the license to use Spybot-S&D as much as you like. But if you like it, I ask two things of you: say a prayer for me (and the most wonderful girl while you're at it ;) ) to your God - or whatever you believe - and wish us some luck. [...]

"As companies are not individual persons and would have problems fullfilling the above terms..."
Oh, I don't know. I think we could fulfill the above terms. :D

Well, drat. I guess that's out. Not unless I get some clarification or pay up. I guess I'll pull it out and see if I run into any problems.

I believe I can still run SpywareBlaster as it's free for educational use. Since family history centers are organized under FamilySearch/Genological Society of Utah as a educational non-profit, that works for official FHCs, but not the unofficial ones this thread is about.

dkcook2-p40

OneCare Update - Antivirus

Post by dkcook2-p40 »

Well I didn't have much luck getting Microsoft OneCare installed on these machines. I began installing them yesterday morning, which by the way takes about 35 minutes to download at 1.5 Mbs. I then tried to configure them with my Qw...st settings. There is some kind of automatic configuration setting with the Windows Live login. I was not sure what the login was for our building so I went home and called around until I found the login that was used to register with Qw...st origninally. When I got back to the church the Internet was down.

The OneCare package comes with a firewall and other items that make it a whole system of tools that get installed. I'm not sure what was causing the problem.

This led to many hours on the phone with Qw..st (I first called the GSD). At the end of unistalling OneCare and trying more different internet configuration then I care to admit, Qw..st found a problem on their end with some extra static setting with the account. They were vague as to what the setting was but they finally changed it on their end and I was back up and running. This was after hours of hearing the problem was on my end. During the troubleshooting I uninstalled OneCare and don't plan on going back. It was a tough road for me. Nevertheless, I'm willing to accept it may have been just a simple configuration error on my part.

Either way I'm either going to buy a seprate simple antivirus for these three computers at a discounted non profit price or find something that is suitable for free for non-profit use.

Thanks again for your help with the maintenance suggestions.
atticusewig

Automatically Reimaging Hard Drives

Post by atticusewig »

At my local community college, the public labs basically send down a standard
image to the Hard Drive on every reboot. It makes startup times incredibly slow,
but any changes made by malware or user interaction are not persistant.

I don't know how complicated the setup is, but I remember reading about
some open-source software that was designed for this, so cost shouldn't
be too prohibitive.

- Atticus Ewig
dkcook2-p40

Microsoft Security Essentials

Post by dkcook2-p40 »

Microsoft Security Essentials was released today by Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/

It is targeted for home use. I read through the terms but didn't see whether it would be appropriate or not for these non-official family history rooms.

Initial reviews of this product are good and it is free.
dkcook2-p40

Microsft Essentials is free commercial/non-profit use

Post by dkcook2-p40 »

Looks like Microsoft is free for commercial use...and good for non-profit.

See the following note.....

http://forums.techsoup.org/cs/forums/p/ ... 02776.aspx

Return to “Family History”