Ordinances reserved by someone else

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
Karris

Ordinances reserved by someone else

Postby Karris » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:22 pm

I did family history research a few years ago and put my great grandparents into my family tree. Someone (who I do not know personally- I am a convert and the only member in my close family) reserved these names for temple ordinances over two years ago, but has not printed them. I tried sending a message through familysearch for this person to either release the names or complete the work, but I have received no response. Is there anything else I can do?

aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ordinances reserved by someone else

Postby aebrown » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Karris wrote:I did family history research a few years ago and put my great grandparents into my family tree. Someone (who I do not know personally- I am a convert and the only member in my close family) reserved these names for temple ordinances over two years ago, but has not printed them. I tried sending a message through familysearch for this person to either release the names or complete the work, but I have received no response. Is there anything else I can do?

Yes, you can call FamilySearch Support (866-406-1830) and explain the situation. If your explanation is sufficiently compelling (and it certainly sounds so to me), then they have the ability to release the reservation so that you can reserve the names and do the temple work.

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:41 am

The current policy is that FamilySearch will release names that have been reserved for more than two years – but the policy is relatively new and I don't know how it applies retroactively; and it doesn't keep someone from snatching the name up again after it expires. It used to be that names were reserved indefinitely, and were still held as reserved even if the reserver had passed away, which was the case with some names in my line. I'm glad for the new policy!
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

ducovandoesburg

Postby ducovandoesburg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:59 am

Hi :) Could you please help me. I have a simular question. I noted that someone else performed ordinances of my family members. My question is, how can I find out who this did? I am a convert and would love to get in contact with this possible lds family member. Thanks :D

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:52 pm

ducovandoesburg wrote:I have a simular question. I noted that someone else performed ordinances of my family members.

How long ago did this deceased family member live? The work could have been done via name extraction from the records. I run into that myself once I get back to the 1900s or so.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Looking on FamilySearch, I don't see a way to tell who performed temple ordinances for my family members, but if you go to an family member's profile page, you can click on various bits of information (like name, or birth date, etc.) to see the username of the person who added that piece of information to the profile. Then you can send them a message through FamilySearch.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:17 pm

sbradshaw wrote:Looking on FamilySearch, I don't see a way to tell who performed temple ordinances for my family members....

Correct. While temple ordinances are reserved but not yet completed, you can see who has those ordinances reserved, but once they have been completed, the name of the person who reserved them is no longer available.

sbradshaw wrote:...but if you go to an family member's profile page, you can click on various bits of information (like name, or birth date, etc.) to see the username of the person who added that piece of information to the profile. Then you can send them a message through FamilySearch.

Even easier, you can go to the "Latest Changes" section of the person's page, and click on "Show all" at the bottom of that section. That will show you all changes in one list, and you can scroll through the list of changes and get a quick feel for who has been making most of the changes on that person.

Return to “Family History”