familysearch.org research?

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
mawhiteley

familysearch.org research?

Post by mawhiteley »

How do you search in your family tree for relatives that need temple work done?

I think my daughter is doing it the hard way. She's manually going through the whole family tree looking for green icons that need work. Expanding generations over and over again. A very tedious and time-consuming process.

I think there should be a much easier way. For example, a simple database query could return all ancestors that need baptism. What am I missing? I don't see these options on the website.

Thanks for the help!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: familysearch.org research?

Post by aebrown »

mawhiteley wrote:How do you search in your family tree for relatives that need temple work done?

I think my daughter is doing it the hard way. She's manually going through the whole family tree looking for green icons that need work. Expanding generations over and over again. A very tedious and time-consuming process.

I think there should be a much easier way. For example, a simple database query could return all ancestors that need baptism. What am I missing? I don't see these options on the website.
There are a couple of tools that can help in this search:
  • The Family Tree mobile app (either Android or iOS) has two features (Ancestors with Tasks and Descendants with Tasks) that can help you see a list of ancestors with temple work ready or record hints to review.
  • Hope Chest is a Chrome extension that will look through your tree for temple opportunities and other tasks.
What you're hoping for would certainly not be a "simple" database query. The definition of terms such as "ancestors" and "relatives" are certainly not understood the same by all people. Do you include all spouses? All children of direct-line ancestors? All parents? How many generations up, and how many down?

And one final note: regardless of what technique you use to find green temple icons, make sure that you do solid research on each one to make sure that it is not a duplicate and that the person is clearly identified, preferably with multiple sources. Otherwise you run the risk of wasting time on duplicate temple ordinances. Also make sure that you comply with all the relevant policies (the 110-year rule, as well as the requirement to be related to the person).
mawhiteley

Post by mawhiteley »

Thank you! I'll research these options.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

mawhiteley wrote:How do you search in your family tree for relatives that need temple work done?
You don't have a family tree. We all share the same family tree. As Alan said, we must all find and attach sources, search for duplicates, and comply with all Church requirements before we submit folks for temple ordinances. All of that takes time and attention to detail. If you just wanted names of deceased folks, you could just pick them from the cemetery or the obituaries.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Family History”