Edge Browser & Family Search

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
ThomasLDS01

Edge Browser & Family Search

Post by ThomasLDS01 »

Is anyone having any issues with Family Search on the new edge browser in Windows 10. I've found that I can get it to work but navigating around the tree and making changes it will often hang for a while.

I appreciate the browser is still very rough round the edges, probably closer to a beta than a fully polished release. I've had issues when making videos on lds.org fullscreen too. It keeps the video the same size and gets rid of the other content.

Just wondering if the problems are unique to me. I noticed Ancestry specifically states it doesn't support edge at this time and it has some major functionality issues on edge.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Edge Browser & Family Search

Post by lajackson »

My experience is very similar to yours. I treat Edge as a new browser that is neither fully functional nor supported.
ThomasLDS01

Post by ThomasLDS01 »

Its a huge step on from IE though, I hope they can get it refined and working.
KingGJ

Post by KingGJ »

MS Edge browser is working fine for me today. I Microsoft fixed some issues that we saw months ago. Since the production release it seems to be good. Let me know if you have see any problems with the released version. :)
ThomasLDS01

Post by ThomasLDS01 »

It seems to be working better for me now.

I am on the 10532 insider build for the threshold 2 release however so I am on a newer version of Edge than the production release.

If they can get some extensions sorted ill stick with it. Its a good browsr.
kosifou

Post by kosifou »

I also had similar problems with Family Search and Edge. Currently using Firefox which also plays video content in full screen unlike Edge and IE.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

FamilySearch basically requires Chrome to work, anything else they'll tell you to use Chrome.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

johnshaw wrote:FamilySearch basically requires Chrome to work, anything else they'll tell you to use Chrome.
Not true. See the FamilySearch Browser Compatibility and Support Policy, which shows that IE11, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome are supported, as well as iOS Safari and Android WebKit.

You may run across some support missionaries who let their personal preference for Chrome affect their answers, but I've also heard from support missionaries who love IE11 and recommend it. In any case, the above is the official policy, and I know that the web developers and testers go to great lengths to make sure the supported browsers work.

However, this discussion is about the Edge browser, and you'll note that it is not on the supported list at this point. I strongly suspect that it will be on that list at some point, but for now users of Edge are taking their chances.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I went a couple of years hearing everyone tell me Chrome. I've never even bothered looking at the compatibility because every time we attempted to diagnose 'slowness' we heard Chrome. Our 5 FHC Directors met monthly for a coordination meeting, I heard from them all the time that Chrome was required. I got it from Directors, FHC support, anyone I talked to. If that isn't the case anymore, that's great.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Wasn't there some Chrome-specific add-ons for FS? That could tilt the "favoritism".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History”