sealing deceased unmarried couples?

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
dhdmiller

sealing deceased unmarried couples?

Post by dhdmiller »

I am a Family History consultant in Price, Utah. A question was asked about sealing couples who lived together for all their adult life, had no children and died having never been lawfully married. Can they be sealed under common law marriage? Does the family need special permission to perform this ordinance? Thank you for any help. dhdmiller@emerytelcom.net
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: sealing deceased unmarried couples?

Post by russellhltn »

According to this page, yes (emphasis added)
Undocumented marriage. A deceased couple who lived together as husband and wife may be sealed, or if they had children together ...
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
stevenchristensen

Post by stevenchristensen »

It seems the link to the page moved. Do you know where it is? I have an uncle in such a situation and would like to do his temple work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stevenchristensen wrote:It seems the link to the page moved.
That it does. And my attempts to find it are not working.

stevenchristensen wrote:I have an uncle in such a situation and would like to do his temple work.
I think the answer there would be to input what you have in the FamilySearch trees and see if it allows you to seal them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

stevenchristensen wrote:It seems the link to the page moved. Do you know where it is? I have an uncle in such a situation and would like to do his temple work.
Try this link (you must be signed in to FamilySearch and be a Church member to see it): Can a Couple Be Sealed Who Never Married or Whose Marriage Date I Cannot Find?
mills.andoh

Post by mills.andoh »

can a woman seal with his children in the temple while the husband is not a member.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mills.andoh wrote:can a woman seal with his children in the temple while the husband is not a member.
Only if he is deceased.

waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

Another place to get answers such as the OP posed, is to call Family Search help at 1-866-406-1830. They are there 24/7 to help us. As a Family History Consultant and a former Family History Center worker, have used them many, many time, and they are a great source of information. They can direct you to information, such as the link ( Can a Couple Be Sealed Who Never Married or Whose Marriage Date I Cannot Find?) cited above, and solve our questions authoritatively.
comeseeus

Post by comeseeus »

A girlfriend was killed in her youth. Her boyfriend eventually married after 14 years of grief in the Temple. Can he be sealed to her after he dies? Or if his wife passed away first, can he be sealed to his girlfriend?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Your bishop is able to provide you with sealing policies for the living, and since your question includes a person who is no longer, the previous post to yours has the contact number for FamilySearch help. They would also be able to answer your question or provide additional guidance.

Return to “Family History”