sealing deceased unmarried couples?

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
dhdmiller

sealing deceased unmarried couples?

Postby dhdmiller » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:29 pm

I am a Family History consultant in Price, Utah. A question was asked about sealing couples who lived together for all their adult life, had no children and died having never been lawfully married. Can they be sealed under common law marriage? Does the family need special permission to perform this ordinance? Thank you for any help. dhdmiller@emerytelcom.net

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: sealing deceased unmarried couples?

Postby russellhltn » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:34 pm

According to this page, yes (emphasis added)
Undocumented marriage. A deceased couple who lived together as husband and wife may be sealed, or if they had children together ...
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

stevenchristensen

Postby stevenchristensen » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:26 pm

It seems the link to the page moved. Do you know where it is? I have an uncle in such a situation and would like to do his temple work.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:38 pm

stevenchristensen wrote:It seems the link to the page moved.

That it does. And my attempts to find it are not working.

stevenchristensen wrote:I have an uncle in such a situation and would like to do his temple work.

I think the answer there would be to input what you have in the FamilySearch trees and see if it allows you to seal them.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:01 pm

stevenchristensen wrote:It seems the link to the page moved. Do you know where it is? I have an uncle in such a situation and would like to do his temple work.

Try this link (you must be signed in to FamilySearch and be a Church member to see it): Can a Couple Be Sealed Who Never Married or Whose Marriage Date I Cannot Find?

Return to “Family History”