How do I sync FamilySearch with Ancestry.com?

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
drepouille

Re: How do I sync FamilySearch with Ancestry.com?

Post by drepouille »

A nine-step process is listed at the bottom of this Help Center article:
https://familysearch.org/ask/salesforce ... A4&lang=en
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
berthearle

Post by berthearle »

Rootsmagic 7 syncs with FamilySearch. It also allows you to download your own tree from Ancestry.com.
ScottHepworth

Post by ScottHepworth »

Isn't someone out there as a 3rd party intermediary, working on a FS and Ancestry certified app that would do the trick?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Do you mean something like AncestralQuest?
davebres

Post by davebres »

I want to be able to sync Ancestry with FamilySearch. What I mean by that is to be able to have it do what my cell phone and laptop do. I can sync the two so that changes made to my contacts and calendar on my phone and changes made on my laptop show up identically on both devices. So, what I would like is to know how to make the changes to my tree on Ancestry and my changes made on my tree in FamilySearch are synced so that both trees are identical. What I do not want to do, or have time to do, is to one by one go through the thousands of records and manually do it one record at a time. I can't find a program or app, or a description anywhere and hope that there is such a thing. If there is not, there should be. I can't be the only one who needs and wants this.
THANKS SO MUCH!
erindyal

Post by erindyal »

drepouille wrote:A nine-step process is listed at the bottom of this Help Center article:
https://familysearch.org/ask/salesforce ... A4&lang=en
This isn't information on how to sync but rather how to transfer data from ancestry and upload it into familysearch.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The transfer works both ways, sort of. You can transfer up to four generations from FamilySearch to Ancestry for end-of-line ancestors. Going the other way, you can only add one person at a time to FamilySearch from Ancestry.
davebres

Post by davebres »

This is very archaic and creates duplicates. There needs to be a system that will actually sync the two. This should not be difficult. After all, there are all sorts of programs that sync our various devices. For example, I can sync my laptop and phone so that all the contacts, calendar items, to do lists, etc are exactly the same on each device. I can make a change on one, then sync to make them the same. Without this type of sync for FamilySearch and Ancestry it is not practical to keep the two the same as each other. Research is hampered, not helped by the fact that I have two trees that should be the same but are different and therefore other people doing research and find that my tree and their tree intersect will not be getting the best information, or might even miss people because they are in one tree and not the other. This also hampers missionary work that could take place when non-LDS are researching on Ancestry and do not get the information they are looking for.
davebres

Post by davebres »

I will take a look at RootsMagic. Thanks for pointing out that resource. Hope it is effective. I appreciate your thoughtful suggestion.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

davebres wrote:I have two trees that should be the same but are different
Family Tree is not your tree. Family Tree is a collaborative database that we all share. I can change your deceased ancestors on Family Tree as easily as you can. So this is not a question of you synchronizing your tree on one web site with your tree on another web site. Apples and oranges.
A closer analogy is trying to synchronize one Ancestry tree with another Ancestry tree, which is also not easy to do. I had an Ancestry tree with myself as the home person, and I wanted to create a new Ancestry tree with my half-sister as the home person. There is simply no easy way to copy our shared ancestors (our mother on back) from my tree to her tree.

Return to “Family History”