Windows Xp and AutoIT

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
cmmpcmd

Windows Xp and AutoIT

Post by cmmpcmd »

At the local level here in this branch I am running across a particular problem on the two xp system optiplexes. Every boot it gives an AutoIT error as it is trying to 'run' a program that isn't installed. Mind you these were fairly fresh installations, no modifications made to them or anything of that matter. They were reimaged less than two months ago or so, and haven't really had any errors but that one that has been popping up the last couple weeks. I'm just wondering if there is a way to disable the notification to the user as it seems that there is no real error it's just trying to call a non-existent program from a non-existent application on it for some odd reason.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windows Xp and AutoIT

Post by russellhltn »

Is this an official FHC or a "local" creation?

AutoIT is used by the FH to automate some of their support processes. Clearly it's failing for some reason. In the long run you'd probably be better off resolving the issue rather than covering it up.

If you're an official FHC, I'd work on getting those XP machines replaced. That starts by having the inventory software installed and making sure the director is filing the monthly reports.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cmmpcmd

Post by cmmpcmd »

Official FHC. They did send us two new pcs but we had 4 xp systems running before this so we replaced 2 of them with the two they sent us that already had windows 7 installed on them. The other ones they did give us ram for, but for that model we really need to have someone to come in to do the ram installation. The tower design pretty much requires unhooking the PSU and an hd cage to access the ram to put it in which is slightly above my area of expertise with cramped cases...due to I have somewhat larger hands. Honestly the issue isn't anything that is of a real concern other than it seems the issue is FHC update possibly broke the local installations. I want to say the real fix is just to take those machines updates for autoIT and the family history applications off period since people only really come in to use FamilySearch.org and they can do that on the browser...the specific needs of the users aren't relying on the FHC tools so much as Familysearch. The true solution is to get rid of AutoIt and tools that depend on it if possible.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cmmpcmd wrote:people only really come in to use FamilySearch.org and they can do that on the browser...
I'll bet many come in to use Ancestry. That requires a proxy setting to work. AutoIT might be how they're doing that.

Typically AutoIT isn't an app - it's automating the install/configuration of something.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cmmpcmd

Post by cmmpcmd »

I'd say yes, except the AutoIT error is UPON BOOT. That led me to rule out and actually no we get more in there for familysearch and microfilms above anything else at this branch. We have very very few people using ancestry in family search right now and with the changes coming to ancestry to members we shouldn't NEED a proxy anymore.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cmmpcmd wrote:We have very very few people using ancestry in family search right now and with the changes coming to ancestry to members we shouldn't NEED a proxy anymore.
Many FHCs have patrons who are nonmembers (family history work can be a great missionary tool!) and access to ancestry.com would be helpful. Also, please note that the partnership for Church members is with Ancestry, MyHeritage, and FindMyPast, but there are several premium sites on the FHC Portal beyond those, and so there will still be a need for a proxy.

Of course, each FHC has its own unique set of patrons and usage patterns. The FHC director will need to make the call as to what applications are made available to the patrons.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Of course, each FHC has its own unique set of patrons and usage patterns.
Yes, and the Family History departments tends to standardize the installs. So they're likely to run updates regardless of what the locals say they need.

cmmpcmd

Post by cmmpcmd »

I hate to even suggest it, but on the xp systems in there in that case I'm better off just disabling the updates automatically after I re-image them and get them working...again....since the updates are what broke them I think. I sincerely doubt they test for xp systems anymore with their updates and is one of the reasons they sent us 2 windows 7 systems. We have 4 stations total not counting the computer setup to the microfilm reader. I really am just kinda at my wit's end with those systems at the moment since the way they were setup nothing should've broke unless an update broke them. Just seems like they forget that in software you MUST be able to choose what systems get what update or you end up breaking things that really shouldn't be broken. -cough- Not that I have seen that happen at work before and is one of the reasons we have our devs sometimes re-code things for certain client's systems or anything. >.>
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to post your question over on the LDSFHCTech Yahoo group. Some FH techs hang out there and can probably explain the situation better.

The AutoIT is probably being triggered by Tivoli But if you uninstall Tivoli, your machine won't get inventoried so you won't get replacements.

Return to “Family History”