21st century syncing of PAF / FamilySearch / IGI

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

GarysTurn wrote:That is always possible, new FamilySearch brings all the possible matches together, it does not do the merge of these individuals. Decendents working on the lines make the decision whether the matches are the same person. And if someone is wrongly marked as a match, that merge can be unmerged at a later point if it is determined to not be correct. This is a great improvement over Ancestral File which merged the names and they became one record, now merges just become contributors to the record.

The best thing we can do to get ready for new FamilySearch is to clean up our data and get our sources entered under sources. (many people have their sources in the notes)
This is wonderful news! Being able to merge and unmerge online like that will be a great help to researchers. I am also happy to hear about the focus on sources. Good researchers always quote reliable sources and to have the best data shown first based on sources and their rankings is perfect.
blackrg

Post by blackrg »

rmrichesjr wrote: The issue of combining vs. separating different contributions is one area where, at least from what I have seen, it appears there is some potential for different researchers to disagree and cause each other difficulties by repeatedly changing the database back and forth. I hope people will be reasonable and civil about such situations. I wonder if there are plans for FamilySearch support to mediate or defuse such situations if they arise.
I don't know what's planned, but I think there needs to be "defaults" that are displayed, and then personal preferences everyone can set up to override defaults. For example, Say there are 3 possibilities for the father of person A. The system (using whatever method) marks possibility 1 as the default. User X selects a preference of possibility 2, so whenever they view it, possibility 2 pops up as their "personal default". User Y disagrees and selects possibility 3, so when they view their tree, possibility 3 always pops up as the "personal default" for User Y.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

gblack wrote:I don't know what's planned, but I think there needs to be "defaults" that are displayed, and then personal preferences everyone can set up to override defaults. For example, Say there are 3 possibilities for the father of person A. The system (using whatever method) marks possibility 1 as the default. User X selects a preference of possibility 2, so whenever they view it, possibility 2 pops up as their "personal default". User Y disagrees and selects possibility 3, so when they view their tree, possibility 3 always pops up as the "personal default" for User Y.
This capability appears to be there, at least in the current beta system. It basically is required in order to handle cases of children from multiple marriages. Let's say somebody follows a line on the pedigree back to the prophet Jacob from Genesis. Somebody who is (mostly) descended from one or more sons of Leah would want her displayed on the pedigree, while somebody who is (mostly) descended from one or more sons of Rachel would want her displayed on the pedigree. From what I can see, that capability seems to be there and appears to be working.
garysturn

Multi Parents

Post by garysturn »

rmrichesjr wrote:This capability appears to be there, at least in the current beta system. It basically is required in order to handle cases of children from multiple marriages. Let's say somebody follows a line on the pedigree back to the prophet Jacob from Genesis. Somebody who is (mostly) descended from one or more sons of Leah would want her displayed on the pedigree, while somebody who is (mostly) descended from one or more sons of Rachel would want her displayed on the pedigree. From what I can see, that capability seems to be there and appears to be working.

Your example would display properly because the children are listed as children of Jacob and Rachel. And children of Jacob and Leah would show them as the parents. The problem comes when you don't know who the mother is and the children are listed under both mothers, then which is listed as the default.

In your beta test try entering the same child under two different sets of parents, and then go to that childs record and see which display, and see if there is an option to choose which set of parents are displayed as the default. Then you would need someone else to choose the other set of parents and see if they display for them all the time when they log in.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

You are right that if you are going from a child to the parents, the child's connection to the mother can take care of deciding which of Jacob's wives to show. I was going to propose a test, but I think I just disproved my own case. I went to my favorite record for Jacob, PID 5K4C-VT7 in 'pedigree with details' mode, selected Leah as the spouse to view, moved Isaac to the main position, then moved Jacob back to the main position. Now, it shows Rachel as the spouse. Hmmm... I think I should file that as an issue. It's going to be a pain if the system always reverts to the "other" wife rather than making my selection sticky.

Return to “Family History”