What FS-certified PAF alternative should Mac users use?

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
moonman239

What FS-certified PAF alternative should Mac users use?

Post by moonman239 »

Just wondering.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: What FS-certified PAF alternative should Mac users use?

Post by russellhltn »

I wouldn't say "should use". There is one Mac product available. You can find it on the Family History Products page.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
moonman239

Post by moonman239 »

Thanks, Russell. I think there's a typo in your link.
Anyway, it seems like the focus of major GEDCOM software makers is on making a product that works on Windows. It'd be nice if they would use a high-end programming language like Java, since programs built on those types of programming languages either work on multiple platforms or don't work on any.

Edit: Looks like there's a demo version. I'd rather have a good piece of software that's free like PAF was.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

moonman239 wrote:I think there's a typo in your link.
It seems to work OK for me, but you'll have to select the appropriate tab. I don't see how to code that in the URL.
moonman239 wrote:Anyway, it seems like the focus of major GEDCOM software makers is on making a product that works on Windows.
Unfortunately that seems to be the current situation.

If you can find a way to run a Windows program, you might look at Ancestral Quest as that has the look and feel and a direct tie to the old PAF code.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
moonman239

Post by moonman239 »

I clicked on the link from my e-mail inbox. Strangely, it worked when I clicked on the link you posted on this Website.

Here's the URL I clicked on from my inbox: https://familysearch.org/products/]Family

Anyway, there is a way to run Windows programs on a Mac, but I don't know if it runs afoul of any applicable copyright laws.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

moonman239 wrote:Anyway, there is a way to run Windows programs on a Mac, but I don't know if it runs afoul of any applicable copyright laws.
Depends on how you obtain the programs to do it. ;)

Return to “Family History”