LDS software problems in Windows Vista

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hamilton wrote:You Require Family Tree Maker 2008 So you can run PAF 5.2 On Vista. Family Tree Maker 2008 Will Read and Display your PAF File!!!
I believe Ancestral Quest, and PAFWiz will do the same.

[Disclaimer: All products mentioned in this post are commercial products, not necessarily endorsed by the church - although some of them are Affiliates.]
Kate-p40

Kate

Post by Kate-p40 »

I have just got a new computer with Vista! , and I am also having problems getting my programes to load.:confused:
I have managed to get the Library catalogue to leave an icon on the desktop, but when I click on it I can't access any information. The 1881 census refuses to do anything :confused::confused:.

I don't understand much about the workings of a computer so can anyone let me know what to do without complicated jargon?
I have got a 2GB RAM and it is a brand new computer so I would expect it to cope with the basic things. I had no problem wiuth my ancient "steam driven" machine with less than 1GB RAM. I am also having problems with other genealogy programes that I believe are not directly linked with the LDS, but may be cured by the same cures as for the LDS programes. At least I do hope so!
I hope someone out there can help to sort me out.
garysturn

Vista

Post by garysturn »

Kate wrote:I have just got a new computer with Vista! , and I am also having problems getting my programes to load.:confused:
I have managed to get the Library catalogue to leave an icon on the desktop, but when I click on it I can't access any information. The 1881 census refuses to do anything :confused::confused:.

I don't understand much about the workings of a computer so can anyone let me know what to do without complicated jargon?
I have got a 2GB RAM and it is a brand new computer so I would expect it to cope with the basic things. I had no problem wiuth my ancient "steam driven" machine with less than 1GB RAM. I am also having problems with other genealogy programes that I believe are not directly linked with the LDS, but may be cured by the same cures as for the LDS programes. At least I do hope so!
I hope someone out there can help to sort me out.

I do not understand what you are having problems with. Are you having problems running web sites or are you having problems installing programs from CD's?

I have a computer with Vista and I do not have any problems using web sites. I do not have any of the church programs except PAF and it seems to work fine on Vista.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
brado426

Post by brado426 »

I've been using Windows Vista since it came out and I haven't had any trouble running any of my legacy software (including many Church applications.) Perhaps if you gave us an example of exactly what you are trying to do and what the symptom is, we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Brad O.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think she's referring to one of these software.
garysturn

1881 British Census

Post by garysturn »

She mentioned the 1881 British Census. The 1881 British Census is available on FamilySearch.org so she should be able to use it there without any problems. If she purchased the CD version from the Distribution Center the system requirements say Windows 95 (or higher). Has anyone tried installing this on a Vista machine?
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I would think worst case that forcing Vista into Win98/ME or XP_SP2 compatibility mode while running these types of programs should clear up most issues.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rsterry

PAF and Vista

Post by rsterry »

I have installed PAF under Vista without problems and its mostly running ok with just a few minor hicups.

The one that is most irritating is that when you try and change an existing entry for a date or place, it at first refuses to change but after several attmepts it finally does so. New entries seem to be unaffected. Hope the LDS software developers get on the job soon.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rsterry wrote:Hope the LDS software developers get on the job soon.
The Church is no longer developing PAF. There will not be any updates or upgrades for this program. Instead they will be focusing on the new FamilySearch and related software/applications. The last update to PAF was version 5.2.18.0 on 23 July 2002.

Any compatibilty upgrades to PAF, such as those needed for Windows Vista, will have to come from other sources.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rsterry wrote:I have installed PAF under Vista without problems and its mostly running ok with just a few minor hicups.

The one that is most irritating is that when you try and change an existing entry for a date or place, it at first refuses to change but after several attmepts it finally does so. New entries seem to be unaffected. Hope the LDS software developers get on the job soon.

I run PAF under Vista with no problems at all. I certainly do not see the problem you describe with changing existing dates or places.

However, if you do have odd problems, you might try running the applications in a compatibility mode, such as Windows XP SP2. That has been known to fix some odd problems. To change the compatibility mode, you can right click the shortcut (All Programs > FamilySearch > PAF) and choose Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab, check the "Run this program in compatibility mode" check box, then choose Windows XP (Service Pack 2). If that doesn't help, try Windows 2000 or other modes until you find one that works.

Return to “Family History”