LDS software problems in Windows Vista

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
keith-p40

LDS software problems in Windows Vista

Post by keith-p40 »

I have tried to install and use several LDS programs on Windows Vista wihtout any success. Specifically these are British Vital Record v2 and Australian Vital Records.

Does anyone know of any solution? or detail of Windows Vista compatability?

Thanks

Keith
HansenBK

Hasta la vista

Post by HansenBK »

The Church is barely starting the adoption of Vista. I have installed it on one of my dev machines just to see what hurdles I was going to have to jump and have been amazed by the pain. Pretty much half of the software that I use on a daily basis doesn't work (and I am talking about development tools, not Church programs). I am sure that QA has some Vista machines, but it is not their standard by any means.
keith-p40

Issues

Post by keith-p40 »

In the case of the Australian Vital records i'm pretty sure the problme is to do with the installer being 16bit. I have seen the same problem on several other programs. In those cases the developer was able to provide an update with a newer installer packaged which solved the problem.
tomj
Community Moderators

I'm Curious?

Post by tomj »

I'm Curious? Is anyone else having problems with Vista? PAF or other LDS Software. I'm looking to upgrade my PC, but I wonder if I should wait.

I run Windows XP in Parrallels Virtualization on an intel MacBook Pro. PAF Runs great on the installation.

- Tom
mkmurray

Vista upgrade

Post by mkmurray »

Tomj wrote:I'm Curious? Is anyone else having problems with Vista? PAF or other LDS Software. I'm looking to upgrade my PC, but I wonder if I should wait.

I run Windows XP in Parrallels Virtualization on an intel MacBook Pro. PAF Runs great on the installation.

- Tom
I'm running Vista right now, but haven't installed any LDS software yet. My experience has been really pretty good so far.

However, in your case, running Windows through virtualization on a Mac, I see no benefit to upgrade the "secondary" operating system. :rolleyes:
Roger-p40

PAF on Vista

Post by Roger-p40 »

Maybe this will help...

Right-clicked on "PAF5English.exe" this will bring up a properties for the install.

Click on the compatibility tab and then in the drop-down box select "Windows XP Service Pack 2)

Let me know if it works. This may also work on other LDS programs.

Roger
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Roger wrote:Maybe this will help...

Right-clicked on "PAF5English.exe" this will bring up a properties for the install.

Click on the compatibility tab and then in the drop-down box select "Windows XP Service Pack 2)

Let me know if it works. This may also work on other LDS programs.

Roger
I personally think that's a great idea. Hope it works out.
jbharman45-p40

Post by jbharman45-p40 »

When you install a program with compatibility mode, please keep in mind that you may have to do EXACTLY the same thing two or even three time. Vista learns from each time it fails, and almost always it will eventually load the program. What you then need to ascertain is where something else stops working at that point. It most usually will be Internet Explorer. If that happens, then you need to uninstall the first program. Almost all of the newer LDS programs work just fine. Hope this helps!

Brent
garysturn

PAF on Vista

Post by garysturn »

I have upgraded one of my computers to VISTA Premium Home and have had no problems so far running PAF5 and PAF Insight. I have not used the program a lot but I opened PAF and Insight and both seemed to be working fine. Don't know about any other LDS software. I realize Insight is not LDS produced but we use it a lot with PAF.
hamilton-p40

Post by hamilton-p40 »

You Require Family Tree Maker 2008 So you can run PAF 5.2 On Vista. Family Tree Maker 2008 Will Read and Display your PAF File!!!

Return to “Family History”