nFS combining options

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
garysturn

nFS Syncing with Legacy, PAF, Rootsweb

Post by garysturn »

scion wrote:Wow! If I understand you correctly, this mess will sync with my database much like my Palm & computer do now. :eek: How is that a good thing? On the bright side, possible matches (with my personally chosen search parameters) & merging (with comparable data visible) is much better in Legacy than on nFS.

I attended a presentation from Ancestral Quest, Ohana Software, and Rootsweb and saw all three companies demonstrate their new software and its syncing feature with nFS. None of these companies preform an auto sync. If you have used PAF Insight the process is very similar to that process. The software uses your data to preform a search on nFS for matches, when you determine that a nFS item is a match and select it as a match, then the program stores that folders ID number in your database. You then are presented with a side by side comparison of the data and you can select which data you want to share in either direction, to or from nFS. The records are considered synced once your record stores the nFS ID number. You then later can do side by side comparisons at anytime. If more than one record is found in nFS that you determine is a match with your record, when you mark them both as matches, then nFS combines them in its database. I did a review of these three programs back after the meeting if you would like to read it. I have heard that Legacy and several other companies also have syncing capabilities almost ready to release. Each of these companies use their own methods to do the searches and comparisons.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct

Return to “Family History”