nFS sources

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

GarysTurn wrote:If you go into Tools and select Internet Options (under Tabs on the General page click settings) you can force popups to open in a new tab, then you have those search options available. I like the way nFS operates in IE7 using this option, it causes each pop up to be displayed in full screen tabs so you don't have to do so much scrolling as well.
I found tabs and turned that on to give this a whirl. All of the windows that opened in small windows with no toolbar at the top continue to do so. Resizing makes the font larger, rather than adjusting the viewing space. Still no method of searching when there are hundreds or thousands of lines of data. :(
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

scion wrote:I found tabs and turned that on to give this a whirl. All of the windows that opened in small windows with no toolbar at the top continue to do so. Resizing makes the font larger, rather than adjusting the viewing space. Still no method of searching when there are hundreds or thousands of lines of data. :(
No method of searching? If you're using Firefox, Control-F should bring up a "Find" bar at the bottom of the window. If you're using a different browser, might it have a similar feature?

(Or, being as I'm jumping into the middle of the thread, did I completely misunderstand?)
garysturn

Tab browsing

Post by garysturn »

scion wrote:I found tabs and turned that on to give this a whirl. All of the windows that opened in small windows with no toolbar at the top continue to do so. Resizing makes the font larger, rather than adjusting the viewing space. Still no method of searching when there are hundreds or thousands of lines of data. :(

I use tab browsing and get the search option. I use it all the time. This is how I have my IE7 settings set up.

Go to Internet Options in the TOOLS Menu

On the GENERAL tab find "Tabs" and select the SETTINGS option

In the Tabbed Browsing Settings menu select (put check mark) ENABLE TABBED BROWSING
Under the sub options, select all options (put check next to all sub options)

Under "When a Pop-up is encountered:" select ALWAYS OPEN POP-UPS IN A NEW TAB (put a check mark) This is the option you might not have selected.

Under "Open Links From Other Programs In:" select A NEW TAB IN THE CURRENT WINDOW (put a check mark) This also needs to be selected

With the above options selected in nFS I get all my pop ups in new tabs and have full search capabilities within each tab. The tabs open one at a time from left to right and you are always moved to the next tab. You must close the most recent tab to get full function in the previous tab, because nFS thinks they are popups. You can go back to previous tabs and look at the info there, which you can't do very well with popups on top of previous pages, but if you try selecting something in a previous tab, without closing the most recently opened tab, you get strange results because nFS is expecting input from the last popup. I have also found that if I want to look at other web sites it is best to open a new occurance of IE to do that in and keep all of nFS together.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Here is an example of how this works in Netscape (even with tabs selected):
Search for Obadiah Holmes KNWX-MVV
select summary
scroll to the bottom of the screen to select individual sources
wait and wait
a popup comes up
wait and wait and wait
a lot of data populates the screen
As stated previously, 1) this screen is not searchable, and 2) as long as this one is open, another Obadiah Holmes cannot be compared. The only way I can find to compare the source data is to copy and paste to Excel (Word freezes at the thought). It is 3271 lines long, most of which, but not all, is one source per line. Excel needs to be cleaned up just to compare.

Meanwhile, changing screens is really slow. Several options that I clicked on took 3-5 minutes to appear.

I'm not interested in combining these folks because there are sooooo many other living people working on this line. However, this is just not functional.

Return to “Family History”