Digitizing Records

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
mkeamo

Digitizing Records

Post by mkeamo »

I am the STS and I am new. The family history center was asked to digitize all of their records. Would it be correct to just scan in the documents and save them by the main name on the pedigree chart? Can I create a database or would I just save each document in a removable hard drive. Thank you for taking time to help me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Digitizing Records

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting request. What exactly are you being asked to digitize? Is this family records? A special collection that that particular FHC has?

This isn't a common occurrence. Keep in mind, depending on what is to be done with it, there may be copyright issues.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkeamo

Post by mkeamo »

It is mostly pedigree charts. I live in Hawaii and its a lot of documents that aren't digitized yet. It is in books that are alphabetized. I was asked if it was possible to store not only the main person on the pedigree charts but those on it as well.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Digitizing would be great but making sure the information is in family tree would be much better. Maybe there could be organized a local project to help ensure the information is placed in family tree as well as digitized. It may also be good to contact the church family history department I would guess they would also have some other information on what to do with these records.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How much are you talking about? My day job is document scanning. It's very easy to underestimate the amount of work it takes to do it. Not only do you have to scan it, but you have to index it in a way that's easy to find again. And in this case at least entering all the names (at minimum family names) found on it so it will come up in a search.

I agree with Gary that ideally you'd want to get it into FamilySearch in some way shape or form so that it's more widely available. (Assuming permissions work out.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History”