Reserved Ordinances

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I've already had some very good luck in averting duplication of temple work, and at the same time have found work only partially done or not at all because the combining was done in error.

One was a second child with the same name born a couple years after a sibling died and that sibling's death occurred at age 3 I think it was.

One way to find what names might still need work and spot duplicates is to click on the temple symbol if it has an arrow by it. I've found duplicates right there, and then went in and did the combining, sometimes a second group of names needing combining would show up, but eventually it would go down to the point where there was but the one record, and finally showing up as having all the work completed.

The other place to find the duplicates is to go to 'parents and siblings' view, and combine the children duplicates, that has also found more information as well. Do the same with spouses and children.

On occasion, I've found entries in the combining process with one child but not the others, and separate entries of the parents with a different child every time. After properly comparing them, you should know if these are indeed the same parents or not, and the chlidren will fall into place. Then go in and do the same on the children. Many are saying start with the parents in any relationship first then combine the children.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

GarysTurn wrote:I do beleive there is duplication in newFamilySearch. I doubt the 30% estimate. . . . nFS has different standards for allowing ordinances. Under the old system you were required to provide dates and places to clear names. nFS requires only that the person be linked into relationships.

Please clarify how submitting names with relationships, but no place or time (even approximate) will decrease duplications. There may be places and situations where generally accepted genealogy documentation is not available. (i.e., third world countries & places plagued by civil war) However, less strident submission rules will, once again, increase duplication.

Also, is the church still adding extracted work without searching for completed templework?

Return to “Family History”