Edge Browser & Family Search

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
drepouille

Re: Edge Browser & Family Search

Post by drepouille »

johnshaw wrote:I went a couple of years hearing everyone tell me Chrome. I've never even bothered looking at the compatibility because every time we attempted to diagnose 'slowness' we heard Chrome. Our 5 FHC Directors met monthly for a coordination meeting, I heard from them all the time that Chrome was required. I got it from Directors, FHC support, anyone I talked to. If that isn't the case anymore, that's great.
Now John, how can you have more than one FHC Director? LCR only allows one per stake.
(Not trying to highjack the thread -- just being a bit snarky.)
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
keithbrooks

Post by keithbrooks »

I have not seen any current postings on this issue. I just updated to Windows 10 (wish I hadn't) but MS Edge gets me in but linking documents couldn't be done. An error 'unable to load' would occur. I went to another computer with standard IE and it worked fine. Anyone else having this or other problems????

Oh, before switching computers, I switched to Chrome which I hardly use and had the same issue.

This all occurred about midnight MST, any server issues seen at that time???

Keith
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

On Monday, Nov 16th, the Source Linker feature of Family Tree was having problems, so I would not blame it on your browser.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aandrus1

Post by aandrus1 »

Familysearch Family Tree will not work correctly with any of my browsers, Edge, Mozilla, or Chrome. Well, it will bring up the pedigree chart, but will not open a person's individual record. :( :cry: I have spoken with 3 individuals at Familysearch support and they could not figure it out. One of them took over my computer to try to help with no success. Is there some setting that could be changed to help? Audrey Andrus
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aandrus1 wrote:Is there some setting that could be changed to help?
Is this a laptop? Have you tried it on a different network? The fact so many browsers fail points to something in common with all of them. Do you have any security software that filters websites?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aandrus1

Post by aandrus1 »

Thanks for your response. It is a laptop. I haven't tried it on a different network. I don't have another available at this time. I use McAfee Virus software. However, I don't seem to have trouble with other websites that I have encountered thus far anyway. I guess i could try disabling McAfee while using Familysearch, but I don't like the idea. I am usually using several family history sites at the same time.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

aandrus1 wrote:Thanks for your response. It is a laptop. I haven't tried it on a different network. I don't have another available at this time. I use McAfee Virus software. However, I don't seem to have trouble with other websites that I have encountered thus far anyway. I guess i could try disabling McAfee while using Familysearch, but I don't like the idea. I am usually using several family history sites at the same time.
Perhaps I've been very unlucky with McAfee and reading various other forums I'm not the only one, but McAfee seems to cause a lot of problems. It also isn't that brilliant at catching nasties either. So disabling it on a temporary basis will at least eliminate it from the equation.
aandrus1

Post by aandrus1 »

I did disable McAfee, both the virus & firewall. I tried all three browsers and no change. Which Anti Virus software do you like?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Personally I use Norton, but I usually recommend the free version of Avast for more casual computer users. Norton at one point got a very bad reputation for hogging resources. Since 2009 it has improved dramatically.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:Norton at one point got a very bad reputation for hogging resources. Since 2009 it has improved dramatically.
I'd agree with both assessments. Personally, I use the paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Since it's a laptop, I'd try taking it somewhere where you can connect to another networks - like at church.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History”