Clerk cannot have access to the bldg Copier

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jonashton wrote: It comes directly out of the older Handbook of Instructions, Book 2, Page 286.

Wow, you have an amazing memory to be able to quote word for word from a destroyed handbook (all old handbooks were, of course, destroyed according to policy last year).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

aebrown wrote:Wow, you have an amazing memory to be able to quote word for word from a destroyed handbook (all old handbooks were, of course, destroyed according to policy last year).

Obviously this good brother is following President Monson's example:

"The government of East Germany would not allow Church materials to be taken into the country. So I was asked by President Spencer W. Kimball to memorize the new edition of what we then called the General Handbook of Instructions, to cross the border into East Germany, and then to type the handbook for the faithful Church leaders there. Although it would have been impossible for anyone to actually memorize the entire book, I did study it thoroughly and learned the concepts from cover to cover. I traveled to East Germany and asked the Church leaders there for an office, a typewriter, and a ream of paper. I commenced typing.

An hour or two—and many pages—later, I stood up to stretch, glanced around the room, and noticed on a bookshelf behind me a copy of the new edition of the General Handbook of Instructions in the German language. Someone had obviously smuggled it across the border. Since that time, I’ve been rather knowledgeable concerning the contents of that book."

President Thomas S. Monson "Opening Remarks", 2010 Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting, 2010
forrjoel

Post by forrjoel »

If only the Church would upgrade to code-controlled doors (e.g., Omnilock), the sister problems of too-wide distribution of keys and retrieving keys following releases would go away. I'm not necessarily advocating networked locks, but a few such strategically-chosen locks (building access, library, offices) would not be that much more work for FM.
nrajeff

Post by nrajeff »

So, it also depends upon whether you consider the ward clerk to be part of the bishopric.

That was my thought as well, seeing as how the ward clerk and the exec. sec. are listed that way in the leadership directories. I think my bishop would have a meltdown if he became unable to depend on the WC (me) and the Exec. Sec. to take care of copy-making.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

ricnel wrote:FYI - On the Schedule of Specified Keying For Meetinghouses, other than the Ward Librarian, only the Bishop, his counselors, and the executive secretary are allowed key access to the Materials Center. The clerks are not supposed to have access. I have no idea why.

I wish we had the problem of too little access to the copier. In our building the clerk keys open the library. That means anyone that has a clerk key can access the copier. This includes quorum and auxiliary presidencies.

Also, my Bishop gave me a Bishop key because he wants me to be able to put information on his desk rather than in the clerks office.

rbeede

Post by rbeede »

forrjoel wrote:If only the Church would upgrade to code-controlled doors (e.g., Omnilock), the sister problems of too-wide distribution of keys and retrieving keys following releases would go away. I'm not necessarily advocating networked locks, but a few such strategically-chosen locks (building access, library, offices) would not be that much more work for FM.

That would be nice, but I'm guessing cost also prohibits this.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

There are buildings in the church that use 'code-controlled' locks (our stake center for one). In my mind the problem is even worse than with physical keys. At least with physical keys you can limit the total number available (and they cannot be easily copied). But anyone can (and some do) give the code to anyone including non-members.

Sure, you can change the codes, but then you have to give the code to everyone that is authorized. Which can also be a nightmare.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

ggllbb wrote:There are buildings in the church that use 'code-controlled' locks (our stake center for one). In my mind the problem is even worse than with physical keys. At least with physical keys you can limit the total number available (and they cannot be easily copied). But anyone can (and some do) give the code to anyone including non-members.
Sure, you can change the codes, but then you have to give the code to everyone that is authorized. Which can also be a nightmare.
So, you give each member who needs to get in their own code and they are responsible for the use thereof. You also do periodic audits of the logins to look for anything out of the ordinary.

Aaron Z
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

I think retina scanners would work better. Then there is no question about who is opening a door, usually.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd think the RFID cards that are so common in business would be a reasonable compromise. Sure, someone could lend the card, but it can't be duplicated like keys or codes. Individual cards can be shut off. Seems like replacing a lost card is cheaper the rekeying the whole building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”