Out-of-Warranty Copiers

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
johnshaw

Re: Out-of-Warranty Copiers

Post by johnshaw »

drepouille wrote:I believe my FM decided to allow factory warranties to expire, and just pay for repairs as necessary. That plan may actually be cheaper in the long run, although it tends to be more hassle for the local units. I personally don't mind taking a broken copier to my local service center, as long as the FM pays for the repair.
Extended warranties are a big business. Most people would be better off if they pocketed the extended warranty premiums, and just paid for repairs out of pocket.
Our stake has 9 meetinghouses and many of them rural, this is not a situation that works well for us.

The church has a gazillion dollar need in this area. Some FM's that replace printers every 5 years (replacement in the 6th year) Some wait until they break, this itself, particularly in the US and Canada where we can establish easily followed policies and instructions, something that makes no sense.

This is untenable - I realize that maybe it's ok for a certain stake here and there, but IT MAKES NO SENSE WHAT-SO-EVER to have a different policy for each FMG. No matter what people say, it makes no sense when we have national accounts and a per/meetinghouse expense item. Please don't tell me it saves money, or whatever, IT DOESNT save money all the time because some FMG are replacing printers/copiers in the 5 year cycle, and others are waiting until they die. The Presiding Bishopric knows that a printer/copier is purchased and maintained for 5 years and then can be replaced and that is the actual policy that is issued. When an FMG chooses to do something different than that, the only people affected are ward members who purchase and replace drums and toners regularly and more often as these OLD USED machines become less and less efficient.

Again, this transfers expenses from FMG to Wards/Branches, It is a formula that AS a printer ages, it is less efficient over time requiring more money spent on operational options.

Other issues are when a printer that is out of warranty is broken, it is a SURPRISE expense to the FMG, that means that when they have to replace it, they must take the money destined for something else. Rather than PLANNING and BUDGETING for a replacement, they MUST take money from something else (many times this is another STAKE need).

Unless you've dealt with this in detail, you don't see it. The FMG has a very good way of telling you that the budget was cut, or we were asked to freeze spending, but what that usually means is, we had unanticipated expenses in some other area or another stake and you don't get your stuff that you planned and budgeted for sometimes 2 years previously.

All I really ask is that a policy be put in place, and that policy is followed and is well known so Stake Presidents and Stake PFR's follow the same information that the FMG gets.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”