Out-of-Warranty Copiers

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
johnshaw

Out-of-Warranty Copiers

Post by johnshaw »

In my stake we have about 5 copiers that went out of warranty in August 2011 - purchase date of these copiers was Aug 2006, manufacture date is 2004. I've attempted to have the copiers replaced in both 2012 and 2013, but the FMG is telling me they only replace them when they need to.

I asked a question to my FMG about using non-manufacturer drum and toner since they were 2 years out-of-warranty anyway and could save a ward a couple hundred dollars each year, even significantly more in some locations.

I was then told that the FMG will pay for the Drum and to log a ticket for that, but that I needed to order manufacturer toner because a technician could always point back to that as a cause of a problem.

Is there any way to get this matrix of rules that is so complicated that you nearly need a full-time job and a Urim and Thummim just to keep track of the changing landscape of what FMG is paying for, when they are paying for it?

I notice this forum which used to contain some good information about the copiers now has it taken down and there is no information available to an STS anymore about what those rules are?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
drepouille

Re: Out-of-Warranty Copiers

Post by drepouille »

I always order Xerox drums and toner cartridges from Staples for our Xerox M20 in the stake offices. Recently, all the rollers started failing. I called my FM, and the office assistant said they had no procedures for servicing or replacing office copiers.

I called the phone number on the service tag, and gave them the serial number. They told me the copier was out of warranty. They said they would be happy to put me in contact with an authorized Xerox service center in my area. I told them I already had that information, so our conversation was over.

I loaded the copier into my car, and dropped it off at an authorized service center. They charged us about $250 for a set of rollers, plus another $200 or so for a fuser module. I called the FM and told the office assistant the grand total for the repairs, and she called the service center and gave them a credit card number to charge, so the stake didn't pay a dime.

I happily picked up the copier and returned it to the stake offices. This repair was cheaper than purchasing a new copier. However, this will probably be the last repair job for this copier. I expect we will receive new copiers in a few more years.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I can tell you that in my FMG, this year for a similar situation, the FMG contracted a technician, the total there was $410. So, here we have two exact situations where the FMG did different things, I happen to know Dana is in the same Area and likely the same Regional office as my FMG - so their instructions would likely be the same up to a certain management layer.

All I really want are the rules, all I really want is to know how to plan for the future. I'd like to provide intelligent, reasonable, planning for my Stake President so he can do intelligent, reasonable planning for the future.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

New story. During a recent ward conference, a member of the stake presidency asked me to check out the copier in the meetinghouse library, even though it was not my responsibility as stake clerk, or as STS. The "copier" turned out to be an hp LaserJet M3027x MFP, manufactured in October 2007, with a warranty that had expired in March 2009.

I interviewed the librarians, who said it had been misfeeding from the day it was installed. When I turned the printer around to get the serial number, I found a handwritten note detailing several frustrating defects. If the librarians had complained to the bishopric, their complaints were likely not passed along to either the stake PFR or the FM. I don't think anyone in that ward had ever considered calling the phone number on the service sticker.

I told the new FM about it, and he said he would replace it. Later, he asked me to call the number on the service sticker to see if they would repair it under warranty. No dice. So he is sending someone out to take the MFP to a service center for a repair estimate.

I asked, for future reference, how we should handle such incidents in the future. He said that if it is covered by warranty, the ward leaders should call for service. If it is out of warranty, then ward leaders (or the stake PFR) should contact the FM office for repair or replacement.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:During a recent ward conference, a member of the stake presidency asked me to check out the copier in the meetinghouse library, even though it was not my responsibility as stake clerk, or as STS.
I'm not sure what it was, but it is a STS responsibility now: Meetinghouse Technology Roles and Responsibilities. See 4.5
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

It is interesting that meetinghouse libraries are not mentioned. So when it refers to "Church computers, printers, and copiers" does it pertain only to those in clerks' offices, or does it include meetinghouse libraries?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drepouille wrote:It is interesting that meetinghouse libraries are not mentioned. So when it refers to "Church computers, printers, and copiers" does it pertain only to those in clerks' offices, or does it include meetinghouse libraries?
If you follow the link for "copiers" it becomes pretty clear (because it also mentions librarians) that it's talking about all copiers in meetinghouses.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Wards and Stakes can obtain service and supplies by calling 1-800-537-7192. Using the interactive phone menu, the caller will be connected to a service provider. In some cases, the caller will be connected to a third-party provider (such as Xerox or Staples). When this is the case, the third-party provider will know that the call is from a Church unit and will provide service and billing according to established contracts.
This was not my experience with that telephone number. When I pressed #4 for hp, I was transferred to a generic hp customer support. They asked me the name of my company, and the address.
SarahBryce

Post by SarahBryce »

As an FM Group, we pay for yearly service agreements after the warranty has expired as long as the copier is in good condition and does not meet the standards for replacement.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I believe my FM decided to allow factory warranties to expire, and just pay for repairs as necessary. That plan may actually be cheaper in the long run, although it tends to be more hassle for the local units. I personally don't mind taking a broken copier to my local service center, as long as the FM pays for the repair.
Extended warranties are a big business. Most people would be better off if they pocketed the extended warranty premiums, and just paid for repairs out of pocket.

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”