HP Laserjet M3027x MFP Scan to Desktop

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Q: Have you enabled File and Printer Sharing on the PC?

To do this in XP SP2, navigate to Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Windows Firewall > Exceptions tab > put a check in the File and Printer Sharing checkbox > then click the OK button to finish.

It can also be enabled through the Network Setup Wizard.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

jbh001 wrote:Q: Have you enabled File and Printer Sharing on the PC?

To do this in XP SP2, navigate to Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Windows Firewall > Exceptions tab > put a check in the File and Printer Sharing checkbox > then click the OK button to finish.

It can also be enabled through the Network Setup Wizard.
1. Desktop 5.5 does not use the Windows Firewall, it uses the Symantec security suite.

2. As stated earlier, file sharing does work as I can write files to the shared folder from my laptop.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

rpyne wrote:1. Desktop 5.5 does not use the Windows Firewall, it uses the Symantec security suite.

2. As stated earlier, file sharing does work as I can write files to the shared folder from my laptop.
But the Windows Firewall is where the "switch" for Printer and File Sharing is located regardless. A more complete test would be to connect your laptop to this "network" and see if it can see the printer. Specifically, go to a Windows Explorer window on your laptop and type the UNC address for the MLS machine (i.e. \\LU-XXXXXX\) and see what comes up. Alternately (from your laptop), click on Network Neighborhood and drill down through the LOCALUNIT domain to the MLS computer (LU-XXXXXX), and see if the HP M3027x is visible to your laptop. If your laptop can't see the LU-XXXXXX computer or the printer, then it is likely that the scanner on the HP M3027x can't see the LU-XXXXXX computer either.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Our FM group recently replaced our aging copier with an HP M3027x so I thought I'd trying connecting it to our MLS computer to see for myself. Here's what I learned:

1. I feel your pain.
2. The scanner attempts to send scans to the PC via SMB.
3. Desktop 5.5 has apparently severely restricted or locked out communication via SMB.
4. The "workgroup" on our MLS computer was something other than WORKGROUP or LOCALUNIT.
5. Printing worked fine.
6. I could connect my laptop to the scanner, and scanning to desktop (scanning to a folder) worked fine (after going through the Scan Setup Wizard, of course).
7. I could not get my laptop and the MLS computer to see each other when connected via ethernet cable.
8. The fault lies with Desktop 5.5 settings/lockdown, not with HP (as evidenced by item # 6 above.
9. I think that if I could get my laptop to see the shared folder on MLS then the scanner should be able to see it also, but I didn't succeed in getting my laptop to see the shared folder that the Scan Setup Wizard created on the MLS computer. Apparently you were more successful:
rpyne wrote:However, I am not certain that it is the firewall because I was able to connect my laptop to the network and write files to the shared folder.
10. The fix is beyond my expertise, therefore I will forbear.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

RussellHltn wrote:Yes, but what protocol? SMB? FTP? What user account does it use to connect?
It uses SMB because the path it creates is in the form of:
\\LU-XXXXXX\ScanFolderName

It uses the domain/workgroup of LU-XXXXXX and the CLERK account.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

jbh001 wrote:Our FM group recently replaced our aging copier with an HP M3027x so I thought I trying connecting it to our MLS computer to see for myself. Here's what I learned:
Out of curiosity, what is the firmware version in your HP M3027x?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

rpyne wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the firmware version in your HP M3027x?
Datecode was 2007-something. It wasn't the same date as what is currently available for download from HP, but it is the same version number as that update (48.051.1) which leads me to believe that the firmware update didn't apply to my specific model number (even though I couldn't find what that model number was).

I tried running the Scan Setup Wizard first, and it didn't ask for a firmware update. I did run into the "firmware update required" message when I accidentally ran the Scan Setup Wizard when neither computer was connected to the scanner.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

We just moved to a new office that has an HP Laserjet M3027 MFP and I am trying to get it set up but it would appear scan to folder is not a capability of the 3027. That seems to be reserved for the 3035. From the UserGuide under Scan to Folder:
NOTE: This device feature is supported for the HP LaserJet M3035 MFP models only.

If you were somehow able to get this working on the 3027, I would be very interested in learning how so I can get it working on mine! My firmware version is 20071211 48.051.1
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

crislapi wrote:If you were somehow able to get this working on the 3027, I would be very interested in learning how so I can get it working on mine! My firmware version is 20071211 48.051.1
I got it to work! I found the following two links very useful:
Updated scan to folder software (the one that comes on the CD works, but it doesn't allow you to remove test setups. The new version does)
Removing scan to desktop folders

In the end, my main problem was paths. The software sets up a path similar to "\\Comp_name\scan_folder" while the actual path was "\\Comp_name\My Documents\scan_folder". The first is the path that results when the folder is shared. This is done automatically by the newer software but seemed to not occur with the older one. You can share manually by rt clicking on the folder and selecting "Sharing and Security". Make sure you give the share full permissions.

If the folder is not shared, then the copier cannot connect to the folder because the path doesn't exist.

There may or may not be an issue with the Sophos firewall. I set this up on a non-MLS computer so Sophos was not an issue. The computer it is on is running Windows XP Prop sp3.

My minor gripe is that once the share is setup, you cannot edit it as there is no web interface on the M3027 for scan to folder under digital sending. There is also no option to set a default scan name. However, I'm just glad to have it working!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:There may or may not be an issue with the Sophos firewall. I set this up on a non-MLS computer so Sophos was not an issue. The computer it is on is running Windows XP Prop sp3.

There most definitely is an issue with the Sophos firewall. I tried all sorts of things to get our stake's administrative computer to work with Scan to Desktop and failed every time.

But when I installed it on my laptop it worked the first time -- it was very straightforward. We don't scan very often, so just having my laptop available is fine. It would be better if we could get the admin computer to work, but it wasn't worth spending any more time on.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”