Does every unit get a copier?

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Does every unit get a copier?

Post by pgm44 »

[Moderator note: This was split from another thread and started here as a new topic.]

Another question is a copier. I read that you all have a copier. We don't have one in our ward and if we have to xerox any we have to go out to a copy center and to pay for it. Is it common that a ward has a copier or scaner?

PGM
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

"Copier Admin" hasn't been in the forum for some time, but I believe most units do have at least one copier per church-owned building. But I'm not sure if that's true world-wide. I'd go to the stake president and have him consult with the appropriate manuals and the FM group.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Post by pgm44 »

Thanks,
There is a copier in the building but it is from the Institute Class but always closed on Sunday.
So, what if the answer is negative to have our own copier is it then possible to install my old scanner in the clerk office and use that as copier?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Working with your priesthood leaders, you may be able to work out a way to share access to the copier the Institute is using.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pgm44 wrote:then possible to install my old scanner in the clerk office and use that as copier?
Since installing the scanner probably involves installing software, I think you'd need the stake president's approval to do that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

pgm44 wrote:So, what if the answer is negative to have our own copier is it then possible to install my old scanner in the clerk office and use that as copier?
The information in the threadHow are new copiers and MFPs purchased? may be applicable in this situation. More specific guidelines are found in the Facilities Management Guidelines for Meetinghouses and Other Church Property. In that document it says:
The facilities management group is responsible for purchasing copy machines for stake offices and meetinghouse materials centers. In international areas, copier purchases are determined by administration office guidelines, which are based on local unit needs.
Your area office should be contacted for details.

I doubt that you would be permitted to donate your scanner. See Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping. And leaving personal computer equipment in Church buildings is not permitted even if only as a loaner. See Handbook 2: Administering the Church, 21.2.12.

With all that said your stake president may make the decision as to what action to take.
https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?1931-How-are-new-copiers-and-MFPs-purchased
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jdlessley wrote:I doubt that you would be permitted to donate your scanner. See Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping.
A few years ago, I was permitted to donate a scanner for use in our clerk's office. The local leaders reviewed the above policy and found the only part that mentioned donated equipment, was the following sentence...
Wards and stakes may not accept or use donated computers for Church record keeping.
...which they felt did not apply to items like scanners. (Note: This was the decision of OUR local leaders and is not to be misinterpreted as necessarily being church-wide policy. Please consult with your local leaders before making any donations of this type.) The scanner worked for several years as a poor-man's copy machine*, until it was finally replaced with an all-in-one laser printer/scanner/copier.

*Our building had a copier, but it was located at the furthest corner of the building from the clerk's office.
egowen

Post by egowen »

Every unit I've been in has had a copier, generally located in the media center. My current unit is no exception. We also have a multifunction inkjet printer that can be used to make a low volume copies in the clerk's office.
Regards,

Ed Gowen
--------------------------------
Edward J Gowen Jr
Macon Georgia Stake Clerk
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

egowen wrote:Every unit I've been in has had a copier, generally located in the media center.
That may be true for the United States and Canada. But there may be differences for other country locations such as the OP's country of the Philippines.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Just a reminder the FMG is responsible for clerk computers and printers. Do no use stake funds to replace a printer, get the FMG to replace them with operational funds, like the policy indicates. My stake was 100% stake budget funded printers until I got here.... don't let FMG get out of their responsibility in this area....
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”