FamilyInsight and Ancestral Quest

garysturn

Working together not against each other

Post by garysturn »

dkjorgi wrote:Sorry, it was the "research" work I was talking about, not the actual temple work.
The person made it sound like anybody could alter the research work I had done.
No one else can change anything you have submitted. What that person was referring to is that someone else could come in and select their research as the default item to be displayed. If someone does that your work will still be there unaltered but not the main item displayed. nFS is a community effort and we are suppose to all work together to get the most correct information available for our common ancestors. Some people just don't want to correlate and work with others.

I have not found that others are unwilling to work together when there are differences, I have found others willing to want to get everything right so the concerns that others might goof everything up have not happened on my lines. I have correlated with several others to get things right.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

GarysTurn wrote:I have not found that others are unwilling to work together when there are differences, I have found others willing to want to get everything right so the concerns that others might goof everything up have not happened on my lines. I have correlated with several others to get things right.
Thats great to hear Gary.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dkjorgi wrote:The person made it sound like anybody could alter the research work I had done.
No one can alter your submission. They can do incorrect combinations or add faulty information that makes the end result "altered". But your own contribution is unchanged.

But then, you can do the same to anyone else - add your correct information to some else's poor quality information to straighten out the combined results.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

RussellHltn wrote:No one can alter your submission. They can do incorrect combinations or add faulty information that makes the end result "altered". But your own contribution is unchanged.

But then, you can do the same to anyone else - add your correct information to some else's poor quality information to straighten out the combined results.
I think both parts are very good points.

It is certainly exciting times ahead when it will now become much easier to exchange this information with other people online.
garysturn

FamilyInsight now available

Post by garysturn »

FamilyInsight is now available in a wide beta release. It sync's with newFamilySearch.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
ceburgoyne

Post by ceburgoyne »

dkjorgi wrote:On Gary's own blog I noticed a professional genealogist commented on the sync and on NFS in general by saying:

Does anyone know if is actually possible for others to do the above with the work WE have submitted WITHOUT our consent?

I see massive potential and vision for NFS but I am hoping noone can alter my data without my consent.

Can someone confirm?
I, too, have heard the kind of response Gary quoted. My wife and I both have been working to clean up our personal NFS file data. It is a lot of work for those who have many relatives who have made entries. However a non-cooperative attitude is not going to get the work done of cleaning up the mess that WE have made. I am going to keep my own PAF files also, but we have been working by E-mail with several distant relatives from far away and have made some great friends and RESOLVED some problems. The Lord gave us the computer technology to do family history and we need to do our part. We do need to be able to find out who has combined and seperated records so that we can open a discussion with them. While someone can not alter other entries they can make additions and disputes that are frustrating at times. We are supposed to work together however.

Return to “Software Development”