Search living relatives in my own tree

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
alexisalunchbox

Search living relatives in my own tree

Post by alexisalunchbox »

I am entering a large PAF printout of relatives, many still living, into my Family Search tree. I am doing this because I don't want the information to be lost forever, if the printout was to go missing (but yes, I am the only one who can retrieve those names - I haven't resolved what to do about that yet - maybe I'll leave my account password in my Will ! ).

Obviously, I can't enter all the names in the one day. But I have a problem that every time I resume entering the names, I can not find their next closest link in my tree. For example, I enter the name of Bob (fictitious just for an example), then sign out. A week later I want to now enter the children of Bob. However, Family Search does not allow living names to return as a search result - i.e. it is now impossible for me to find Bob. There is no way for me to ever again find him - unless I have a week with nothing better to do except troll through my family tree.

So now I have a branch of my tree that I can't link to me, because I can't find where they fit in.

Now, I understand that living names must only be seen by the person who entered them, but my problem doesn't have anything at all to do with that legal/privacy restriction. It is an entirely separate issue - a simple function that the program doesn't allow for. I can not see any reason, in principle, why this couldn't be incorporated into the "find" search function. And I imagine it would have to be a pretty simple thing to make it possible - all the elements needed are already there.

(Just a question, not a complaint! :) )

Q1: Can anyone suggest if I could go about this a better way (how to not loose my way in my family tree, or is there a different way to search)?

Q2: How can I submit a suggestion that the programmers might consider allowing for living names that a person has submitted to be able to return as results when performing a "find" search?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Search living relatives in my own tree

Post by russellhltn »

My own personal advice is to only enter living people as needed to establish a link to the deceased. I don't think FS is set up to record all the living decedents - as you've discovered.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I use the "To Do" list on the FamilySearch Home page to set place holders that let me find ancestors again. I copy their name/record number from their person page and paste it into the To Do list, then edit it for the reason I want to reference.

For example:
John Smith • ****-*** - might be deceased

Later, I click on the To Do list person, copy their record number and paste it into the search box of the "Recents" option on any person page (just below the Family Tree logo) - it takes me right to their record. Once I'm done with their record, I mark the To Do item complete to hide it. This is a great feature to keep ancestors in different lines that you are working on in a list.

I do not use this for ancestors I know are living - only on rare occasions where I believe they are deceased but have not found death information yet.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

alexisalunchbox wrote:Now, I understand that living names must only be seen by the person who entered them, but my problem doesn't have anything at all to do with that legal/privacy restriction. It is an entirely separate issue - a simple function that the program doesn't allow for. I can not see any reason, in principle, why this couldn't be incorporated into the "find" search function. And I imagine it would have to be a pretty simple thing to make it possible - all the elements needed are already there.
It's not as simple as you might think. Searching relies on indexes. Indexes for deceased people already exist and can be shared among all users. Indexes incorporating living people would introduce several complications. I'm not saying it couldn't be done (I'm sure it can), but it's by no means simple. So there's a cost, and as with all possible features, the costs need to be weighed against the benefits.
alexisalunchbox wrote:Q2: How can I submit a suggestion that the programmers might consider allowing for living names that a person has submitted to be able to return as results when performing a "find" search?
At the bottom of most pages on FamilySearch.org you'll see several links to About, Blog, Feedback, etc. Click on the Feedback link and you'll be shown a way to submit your suggestion.
alexisalunchbox

Post by alexisalunchbox »

Thank you all for your replies. I suppose I must concede that this system is really designed just for linking my deceased ancestors. I appreciate the brief explanation regarding the indexing required for a search function. But I might also make use of the "To Do" list. Much appreciation to all.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

alexisalunchbox wrote:Q1: Can anyone suggest if I could go about this a better way (how to not loose my way in my family tree, or is there a different way to search)?
If they are indeed recent additions, you can use the Recents menu to scroll through the persons you have recently accessed.
I think it would be a better idea to use your free Ancestry.com account to track the information and records of your living relatives. When they pass, you can use Ancestry to add them to FamilySearch Family Tree.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”