Source box 50 folder limit

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
pauliojanpera

Source box 50 folder limit

Post by pauliojanpera »

I have 2000 sources written in my source box and today I hit the 50 folder limit. Could you raise that?

I would also like to sort the sources alphabetically by their titles.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Source box 50 folder limit

Post by aebrown »

pauliojanpera wrote:I have 2000 sources written in my source box and today I hit the 50 folder limit. Could you raise that?

I would also like to sort the sources alphabetically by their titles.
No one here can help you with that. I'd suggest that you contact FamilySearch Support (use the options in the upper right corner of FamilySearch.org under Get Help > Contact Us).
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Once the sources are linked to their respective individuals in family tree, there is no need to keep them in your source box. Deleting them from your source box will not remove them from the individuals they are linked to. I use my source box as a temporary repository for sources that I'm adding to deceased ancestors.

You can certainly hang on to them if you want, but there is no requirement to do so to keep them linked to your ancestors.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

And if you ever want to look at that source again, you can go to anyone in your tree that is linked to that source.

Personally, the only use I've found for source box is to collect clues until things fall into place and you can start adding things to your tree. Clues as in "maybe this is connected, I need to research this".

If you attempt to use source box to save a source to attach to multiple people, you'll be in for a surprise when you find the whole family is a single person in census instead of being attached to their roles in the census.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pauliojanpera

Post by pauliojanpera »

I once found my way to a Familytree developer Forum but couldn't find it now.

I want to hang on to the sources to add them to multiple families. I think I shouldn't be restricted on this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pauliojanpera wrote:I want to hang on to the sources to add them to multiple families.
And that could cause a problem. Maybe it's changed, but the last time I used source box, I had a surprise. And not the good kind.

Traditional sources are for a record: such as a family on the census. But in FamilySearch, each individual on that family group is broken down into their own "source". If you then attempt to attach that "source" to all the individuals named, it creates multiple links to the same "line"/indivdiaul. And that's not what we want.

I routinely attach multiple people at once. See the screen shot below. This record only shows two generations (Father, Mother, Child), but I've seen them do three. I can attach this record to all three individuals in this one screen. No need to use Source Box to save, navigate to the individual and then attach.
FamilySearch.jpg
(70.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”