Another New Family Search Program question

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
falisrm-p40

Another New Family Search Program question

Post by falisrm-p40 »

I wanted to know a few things. When people register like another family member, they also work on the same exact information that you are, correct? So if information is added than it automatically shows up for the other people registered in that family line? I was trying to find a relative who is also a member but i don't know if she is in there (i tried looking). She is a living relative.

Another question is if it's possible to add statistics for when your logged in. (like the number of relatives ready for temple work, or the number of ancestors in the system)

One other thing is i tried the Family Tree program in the Labs website and its amazing. It connects ancestors way back (to 100 bc for my line). Why do these names show up in that program but not in the New Family Search?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

falisrm wrote:I was trying to find a relative who is also a member but i don't know if she is in there (i tried looking). She is a living relative.
There is your problem. She's living. You won't see anything about her.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

falisrm wrote:I wanted to know a few things. When people register like another family member, they also work on the same exact information that you are, correct? So if information is added than it automatically shows up for the other people registered in that family line? I was trying to find a relative who is also a member but i don't know if she is in there (i tried looking). She is a living relative.
The newFamilySearch program (FamilyTree) is designed to track our dead ancestors. You can not see other living people unless you have entered them yourself, except for possibly your spouse, parents, and children. You should only add the living ancestors you need to in order to connect you to your dead ancestors. Living people you enter will not be seen by your other family members. They will need to add their living ancestors in their account needed to connect them to their dead ancestors also.
Another question is if it's possible to add statistics for when your logged in. (like the number of relatives ready for temple work, or the number of ancestors in the system)
There are not currently any type of statistics provided in nFS. Some of the PAF Add on programs like Ancestral Quest 12.1 do keep some statistical information about your nFS data once it has been synced. I doubt FamilySearch will be adding statistical information about individual families any time soon.
One other thing is i tried the Family Tree program in the Labs website and its amazing. It connects ancestors way back (to 100 bc for my line). Why do these names show up in that program but not in the New Family Search?
Both applications pull from the same data. I am not aware of any restrictions in nFS that would prevent you from following a pedigree back as far as you can in the version of FamilyTree over at the Labs site. It is possible that the Labs version of FamilyTree followed a different branch of a line than you followed in the nFS version. If there are duplicate parents, that are the same person, and they have not been combined then one line may go back more generations than the other line. Once you have combined all duplicates, then there won't be branches like that in your pedigrees.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”