Youth Family History Consultants show up on FamilySearch

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
BrainClay

Youth Family History Consultants show up on FamilySearch

Post by BrainClay »

I discovered what I believe to be an issue, and wanted to alert the developers of FamilySearch: we have two youth (under 18), who were called as family history consultants. This is being actively encouraged by Elder Bednar and others. However, these youth's name and contact information shows up on FamilySearch by navigating as follows: Get Help --> Visit Us --> Consultants in your area: 6.

This may not be that big of an issue, but legal may have an issue with it. It probably only shows up for members of our ward, and I mentioned it to the parents, and they weren't worried at all about it. Still, it may be wise to put a filter on those names to exclude those under 18?

The low tech solution we may take on our end is to simply remove their names from the computer - release them on the computer, but not in fact.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Youth Family History Consultants show up on FamilySearch

Post by russellhltn »

bcpalmer60 wrote:However, these youth's name and contact information shows up on FamilySearch by navigating as follows: Get Help --> Visit Us --> Consultants in your area: 6.
That option only appears for me when I log in as a member. If I use a non-member login (or don't log in), the "Consultants" option isn't there. If I'm logged in, it picks my area automatically. I can't browse for consultants in another area.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrainClay

Post by BrainClay »

russellhltn wrote:That option only appears for me when I log in as a member. If I use a non-member login (or don't log in), the "Consultants" option isn't there. If I'm logged in, it picks my area automatically. I can't browse for consultants in another area.
Super, thanks for running those tests and checking, that sounds great, and I don't have any worries now.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I actually wrote the code that looks up the consultants, and I can verify that FamilySearch will only show the consultants connected with the ward of the signed-in user (and obviously the signed-in user has to be a member to be connected to a ward).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:I actually wrote the code that looks up the consultants, and I can verify that FamilySearch will only show the consultants connected with the ward of the signed-in user (and obviously the signed-in user has to be a member to be connected to a ward).
What happens if the user is set for "leader only" in their privacy settings? Does that not affect FamilySearch?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:I actually wrote the code that looks up the consultants, and I can verify that FamilySearch will only show the consultants connected with the ward of the signed-in user (and obviously the signed-in user has to be a member to be connected to a ward).
What happens if the user is set for "leader only" in their privacy settings? Does that not affect FamilySearch?
Yes, the privacy settings are honored. A consultant will only appear if their overall household privacy setting is at least the Ward setting, and the phone number and email address will appear only if their specific privacy settings are at least set to "Ward".
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

So it doesn't disclose anything to anyone that's not already visible in the ward directory.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:So it doesn't disclose anything to anyone that's not already visible in the ward directory.
Right.

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”