"Take a Name"

MarianJohnson

Re: "Take a Name"

Post by MarianJohnson »

I disagree with the previous "clod" who thinks that the solution is to "RESERVE THE ORDINANCES to "SHARE with CHURCH. " There have been many occasions when I have found names of people who are my direct line ancestors whose names have been languishing in the "system" for periods up to five years waiting for the church to get around to doing endowments for them. On one occasion where the names had been reserved for nearly five years I send a message to the "reserver" asking that he release them so that I could do the work. I got no response. I was finally able to get access to the names by contacting FamilySearch directly. I see the process of reserving names for the temple to do as a delaying tactic, and think that if one is not able to do the work personally, he or she should leave it alone so that others who are interested in actually doing the work can access and reserve the names for themselves.
BeGoodAlways

Post by BeGoodAlways »

Hi Gary, there is a link to a great video posted by another user farther up in the discussion, it is called, "BYU Family History Library: What every family tree user should know about name finding apps". I understand not wanting to leave any ancestors work undone. However, there are a few concerns about your comments, "GET THOSE SURPLUS NAMES INTO THE SYSTEM," and, "MY SOLUTION = take each name from T. a N. list, go to FamilySearch AND RESERVE THE ORINANCES to “SHARE with CHURCH.” I know you are not the only one who has had similar comments. First, when our ancestors start to be called, "surplus names," then it becomes a numbers game. There isn't actual research done to see if they have missing children, spouses, etc. that also need their work done. Plus, they may even have stories and pictures that helps to give even more of a personal connection. Relying on the spirit for research plays a huge role in family history. Also, all the names that this 'Take a Name app' collects by "crawling" the tree, are names submitted by actual research done by users of Family Search, and for your tree, most likely relatives you don't know exist. The names were not submitted by the church into the world tree, they were submitted by individuals who have taken the time to find their family and submit them. Due to human error, sometimes there are duplicate names, incomplete dates and places, etc. that these apps can't fully calculate (even though they claim the names are temple ready). It actually tends to clog up the temple system, leaving "Share with Church" names, sitting there for years. When in fact, they may be duplicates or another relative could get the work done sooner, if only their ordinances would be available. I can tell you are a fan of this app. So if you are going to be on Family Search after using the app to share the name with the temple, why don't you take the time to double check the names for duplicates (it won't always show as a, "Possible Duplicate" hint), see if there are other records hints that could help find more family, and take some time to learn more about your ancestors that may even be watching over you, and cheering you on. :)
Chaddy74

Post by Chaddy74 »

Linda Walters bronson
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Chaddy74 wrote:Linda Walters bronson
I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but I think your blind faith in a search engine has led you astray.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jennylovesart

Re: "Take a Name" problems!

Post by jennylovesart »

Hello ever since your company had me update my take a name app it has been horrible! It won't load for hours and then after that it tells me that there are problems and to contact you. When I try to report a problem it tells me to try again later. I even removed it 5 times and downloaded it again. After that it worked twice. That was last week and now it's doing the same thing again. What's wrong with your app? Please contact me at mannch2002@yahoo.com to give me the support I need to fix this problem because quite honestly I'm very dissatisfied with your app. Christine Mann
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you're referring to the Take a Name LDS Family History app, note that it's not created by the church, but by Kinpoint, Inc. You'll have to contact them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BeGoodAlways

Post by BeGoodAlways »

I'm just curious, for those of you that regularly use the, "Take a Name" app, do any of you go onto FamilySearch.org to verify your ancestors names, add sources (to help find missing family members that need their temple ordinances too), correct potential duplicates, etc. BEFORE taking those names to the temple?

LaR5Wp0

Post by LaR5Wp0 »

How do I find and delete this app from my iPhone 7? It is not listed where other apps are that I can uninstall? Please reply to my email address, [email removed]
Last edited by russellhltn on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email removed. This is a public forum
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The Take a Name app is not produced by the church. I suggest you contact the vendor at takeaname.kinpoint.com.

curtis64

Post by curtis64 »

What is going on with the app right now? It has been down for months. When will it be back up and running again?

Return to “FamilySearch Products”