Google Chrome

jtwitchell

Google Chrome

Post by jtwitchell »

Just as it is with other projects that get rushed out the door, Google Chrome is having some issues. (See http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1858). Sadly, these are problems that have affected other browsers in the past. Like most of Google's products, this one is in an early Beta and it needs time to get the bugs worked out. I wouldn't use it for a while.

On some of the other topics in this thread:
The main reason a hacker will attack an application is strongly dependent on how widely the software is used and how easy the hack is, not necessarily if the project is open source or not. Google Chrome currently does not have a very high market share (neither does Firefox), so any attacks made will not affect that many people. Finding a vulnerability in Internet Explorer would be a better use of time (if that is what you like doing). There is a risk to showing your code to the outside world. I support open source software (if it is free or not) because I like the idea that the group putting out the software wants to share their ideas on how they solved a problem. This can lead others to come up with better ideas. In the end, software will become better and more efficient (despite the people that are out there to take advantage of the vulnerabilities found in software). The benefit of community involvement outweighs the risk of having the bad guys read your code and find vulnerabilities. Just my 2 cents...
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

net_runner expressed exactly my thought. 2+2=4 cents.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

net_runner wrote:Like most of Google's products, this one is in an early Beta and it needs time to get the bugs worked out. I wouldn't use it for a while.
As you said, most of Google's products are "Beta;" so that's why you can't trust the terminology "Beta" anymore when Google says it (GMail is still in "Beta"). You do make a good point about it just barely being released though.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

The points Google makes for creating a new browser are interesting. The crash control seems to be a great idea where each tab runs in a different thread. It manages the memory much better than Firefox too. You should read their comic book which describes it all. http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html

Since it is an early release I'm not expecting perfection. I've been using it every day and the only thing I really miss about Firefox is all of my extensions. I figure it will come with time.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

bhofmann wrote:The crash control seems to be a great idea where each tab runs in a different thread.
Actually, I just finished reading about how each tab is in it's own process. Apparently, Microsoft and Google had the same idea as they released their most recent versions of their browsers at the same time. It's a pretty interesting read about the crash control in both browsers found here:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Microsoft ... reads.aspx
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

I didn't realize IE8 just did the same thing. I figured the others would get on the separate process bandwagon pretty soon. Thanks for the link, it was very interesting.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

tomw wrote:I've not read much about chrome. What was Googles reason for creating yet another browser? I mean we have many already that are getting to be mainstream.

IE
Firefox
Safari
Opera
Konqueror

Tom
I do not know. But I do like the Sandbox interations. The incognito browsing is also neat. I concur that added competition in the Browser space does mean more work for web developers.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson

Return to “FamilySearch Products”