Need a convention preferring the use of lowercase in titles?

Ask questions and discuss topics of interest related to the FamilySearch wiki found at http://wiki.familysearch.org.

Moderator: ForbesMM

Need a convention on using lowercase in titles?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:16 pm

Consider another approach
50%
50%
No votes

Total votes: 8

RitcheyMT

Need a convention preferring the use of lowercase in titles?

Post by RitcheyMT »

MediaWiki's default search is the Go search, which is case sensitive for all but the first letter of a title. Since users tend not to capitalize search terms, Wikipedians have decided that any word in a title after the first word which are not proper nouns must be in lowercase.

FamilySearch Wiki's default search is not sensitive to case, so we don't seem to have the need to use this odd use-lowercase-for-most-title-words convention. However, we still do include in our site an Exact Match search, which, like Wikipedia's Go search, is case sensitive. So should we follow Wikipedia's case convention or not?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As long as we stay away from all caps, I'm happy. All caps are harder to read.
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

ritcheymt wrote:MediaWiki's default search is the Go search, which is case sensitive for all but the first letter of a title. Since users tend not to capitalize search terms, Wikipedians have decided that any word in a title after the first word which are not proper nouns must be in lowercase.

FamilySearch Wiki's default search is not sensitive to case, so we don't seem to have the need to use this odd use-lowercase-for-most-title-words convention. However, we still do include in our site an Exact Match search, which, like Wikipedia's Go search, is case sensitive. So should we follow Wikipedia's case convention or not?
I think a camel case policy would be best.
Albany, Albany County, New York

I don't think that case-sensitive search is ever a good idea.

The Earl
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

Can we change exact match to allow mixed case?

If proper names are the only words with an initial-cap, should "County" (if it ends up being included, another thread talks about that) have initial-cap too? It does not seem like it should if it not part of the name.

What if I want to YELL in the title? :D

Return to “FamilySearch Wiki”