Coverting older FHC WiFi to match 881W installation config

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
sphester

Post by sphester »

Can anyone PM with the username and password of the BT voyager modems? The one we have is at least 3 years old.

I'm being asked to complete some tests but with out this I can't complete them all and it seems the FM wants me to complete half the checks and then if they don't work they will release the info. This will waste yet more time on a faults that already dragging on.

Thanks
sphester

Post by sphester »

My gut feeling is telling me that the modem is now on dhcp and so the pic501 firewall will need to be re scripted to use DHCP just no real way to confirm this just want to ensure i have the modem username and password in case i need to get into it and don't want to have to wait days again for the FM to get it to me.

I guess they could just be on the stock factor passwords so I think I'll search google for them just in case.
sphester

Post by sphester »

Finally some sucess! LDSaccess wifi now available

Thanks to Biggles (the user name and password finally supplied via the FM was all wrong) I was able to get into the ADSL Broadband Modem and see what was going on. The short story is there was some configuration issues on the modem and also on the Firewall Pic but all sorted now. Thanks again Biggles

Below is what was wrong and what had to be changed

• The modem was set to DHCP but was giving out the wrong DHCP leases. The lease range was in a completely different range (192.168.1.1/24) to the default gateway address of 192.168.65.1.So no internet direct from the broadband modem in fact I'm surprised it was working via the PIC firwall but it was.
  • Took to a while for the penny to drop on how to get into the modem as in the end I had to give myself a static IP in the range I thought it would be. Biggles gave me the first clue and then this was confirmed by the DHCP ipconfig showing on my computer, wrong IP address right gateway. Not simple by any means and not sure how members with little or no networking knowledge are supposed to sort this sort of stuff out with our getting people on the ground here in the UK to look at it.
  • Once I corrected the modem it enabled me to hook direct into the modem so the GSC could then RDP and console to the PIC firewall. Without changing the modem settings I would have got nowhere as the GSC could not have run the re scripting.
  • As for the PIC configuration no real specifics other than it was on some very old setup but they were able to remove the config and start from scratch. It was much the same for the Wifi access point.
  • All in all took about 1 hour or more to get all this done including a good 30 minutes phone call to the GSC. Thankfully I got someone who was clued up and new what he was doing.
sphester

Post by sphester »

I now have 2.75 units moved from the other odyssey client software to the new LDSaccess and I've not had to make a visit yet!

Just waiting on one unit to tell me if it is broken I suspect so but they have not told me or have just called the GSC themselves first and it is now fixed.

The second issue is a single FHC PC. Someone tried to remove the odyssey software but it was greyed out/or no uninstall button when they went into add remove programs. During the quick phone call I had with them it seems there is only one user account on the computer but I could not confirm this. To me it sounds like an account permission issues i.e. he need to log in as an administrator.

Does anyone have any idea on the admin user name and password for FHC PC's? The machine is general public one and they tell me you never need to log in it just boots ups and loads windows. Also they logged out it popped up a typical lan log in were you type your user name but again no idea what it could be.

I'm almost thinking now that the PC might still be running windows 2000, I know in a different unit they got to keep an older PC when one was upgraded. How many PC does a typical FHC have?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sphester wrote:I'm almost thinking now that the PC might still be running windows 2000, I know in a different unit they got to keep an older PC when one was upgraded. How many PC does a typical FHC have?

Hard to say. The church will provide one or two, but many units find ways of adding to the numbers. If it's a 2000, I'd strongly suggest retiring it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

sphester wrote:The second issue is a single FHC PC. Someone tried to remove the odyssey software but it was greyed out/or no uninstall button when they went into add remove programs. During the quick phone call I had with them it seems there is only one user account on the computer but I could not confirm this. To me it sounds like an account permission issues i.e. he need to log in as an administrator.

Does anyone have any idea on the admin user name and password for FHC PC's? The machine is general public one and they tell me you never need to log in it just boots ups and loads windows. Also they logged out it popped up a typical lan log in were you type your user name but again no idea what it could be.

I'm almost thinking now that the PC might still be running windows 2000, I know in a different unit they got to keep an older PC when one was upgraded. How many PC does a typical FHC have?

I'll PM the you passwords that I have. Although you should be able to get those from the Family Search Services, again I'll PM the details.

If the PC running Windows 2000, is a bona fide FHC computer, you might see about getting it replaced. We had ours replaced recently by the above. It hadn't been used by FHC for along time as they were using donated computers. These were re-imaged, by a disk, again supplied by the above.

We have four active and one spare. Four of these were donated, plus the officially supplied one.

Still I'm happy that we were able to help you, in this forum.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”